Wurlitzer electric piano interference - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2015, 12:00 AM   #1
cancon is offline cancon  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Wurlitzer electric piano interference

I've been working on Wurlitzer pianos for about 5 years now. Mainly the 200 and 200A pianos. I've got a good grasp of their limitations and beneficial mods.

Sometimes I hear a funny interference specifically in the 200 models, where the reed-bar shielding is not as good, also this era of design featured the entire preamp/amp circuit on one PCB, as opposed to the later 200A series where the preamp was mounted directly to the reed bar. I always mod the older pianos with tin foil glued to the lid and grounded to chassis for a great improvement in hum reduction.

I have rebuilt the circuit on the piano in question and as always, I get bit of the odd interference. Until now it was always intermittent, sometimes it would play great for an hour. However, tonight I can't get it to go away at all. I say "interference" because if I pull the reed-bar connection from the board the amp output is virtually silent. This particular noise starts a few seconds after power-up. Regardless of when it starts, it always makes a "revving up" type sound. I was able to capture it tonight. Does anyone have any clues?

15 sec mp3 clip of the noise on startup:

TinyUpload.com - best file hosting solution, with no limits, totaly free

Thanks!

Edit - I've tried unplugging everything else in the room, removing my cell phone from the room, unplugging the modem. I've tried a ground lift and polarity reversal. The power supply is plugged into a new outlet, dedicated grounded line off a new electrical panel, properly wired, with nothing else on the circuit.

Last edited by cancon; 10th November 2015 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10th November 2015, 10:28 PM   #2
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

haven't worked on one in years. Seems to me ther was some issue with the 150v on the bar that could cause noise. I am REALLY hazy, but maybe something like dirt accumulated causing some sort of leakage?

By the way, I have sets of tines in my drawer, and they are looking for a new home. if interested, send me a PM.
Old 10th November 2015, 10:51 PM   #3
cancon is offline cancon  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've been messing with the piano in the last hour and I am in complete agreement that dirt is causing the issue. Light taps against the harp with a hammer made the noise go away entirely, it also brought on a world of reed alignment problems and much harsher noises!

The reedbar screws do work loose over the years, so I'm thinking that a simple removal, cleaning, alignment and screw tightening should make this piano happy once again.
Old 11th November 2015, 04:05 AM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

That is reasonable. In guitar amps, a loose nut on a transformer mounting screw will make static noise.

Hide this!Advertise here!