Providing 6.3 VAC to EZ81 rectifier tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does the EZ81 need its own 6.3vac supply, separate from the other tube heaters? I want to build a Marshall 1974 mdl 18W amp, and have a salvaged PT that has a large capacity 6.3 vac heater winding, enough to handle the total heater currents. And an HV winding that was used for a PP 6V6 power section..... PTs for the Marshall are expensive, and I want to use what I have laying around. Thanks!

Maximum heater-to-cathode voltage is 500 V for the EZ81, for the cathode positive with respect to heater. So you can feed this rectifier tube form the same heater winding as the signal tubes - unless the first filter capacitor's voltage doesn't exceed 500 volts.

Best regards!

The Marshall amp anode load should be close to what my "big" PT was seeing when it ran a PP 6V6 organ amp. Its heater winding supplied about 30 preamp tubes.... I have read comments about this "cathode to heater" voltage, but don't really understand its purpose. Is it and/or the protection resistance to protect the transformer?

The 'cathode to heater' voltage limit (which is 500V for the EZ81) is just to prevent the thin layer of insulation between the cathode and the heater from breaking down.
In a Marshall 18W you will probably reference the heater string to ground, or maybe 'elevate' it a bit. The B+ might be at 340V or something like that. So you will be well within the 500V limit.

EZ81 6.3v supply must be floating and not ground-referenced like the filament supply for the other tubes. It must be a dedicated winding. Reason being that the B+ runs through this winding and would be catastrophic if it was running through your other tubes.

EZ81 6.3v supply must be floating and not ground-referenced like the filament supply for the other tubes. It must be a dedicated winding. Reason being that the B+ runs through this winding and would be catastrophic if it was running through your other tubes.

That's true for many rectifier tubes, but the EZ81 has an indirectly heated cathode.

The positive volts are on the cathode, not the heater. While I admit that, when building 3-3s, the only amp in which I used an EZ rectifier (all the others were GZ) I used a separate winding for heaters, if they guarantee a 500V separation, it should work fine on the same winding. After all, it's only because of the proximity that cathode/heater shorts are so common, and just add a bit of low frequency hum to the system, until the faulty tube/valve is found and replaced.

... the only amp in which I used an EZ rectifier (all the others were GZ) I used a separate winding for heaters ...
Yes, they often do have a separate heater winding, but I wonder if that's just transformer manufacturers not wanting to restrict the application of their PT to rectifiers of that type?
Even when on a separate heater winding there will be a strong coupling of any buzz etc. onto the other heater circuit through transformer action, I would imagine.

Just to clarify, the EZ81 has an indirectly heated cathode. This is necessary for sharing the heater wiring with other valves, but it is not sufficient. You also have to check that the cathode does not share a pin with the heaters. The EZ81 does not, so you can have a common heater chain for all the valves.

On the other hand, a 5Z4 is also indirectly heated but it does share a pin between cathode and heater so it needs its own 5V heater supply. I assume this is because it gives some commonality with other octal rectifiers which are directly heated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.