Tone stack for Champ 5F1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My first build was a Fender Champ, early version. Sounds good, only mod was a pot on the NFB. Want to add some tone control, but not the single pot design that just rolls off the treble. I want to scoop the mids. Later Fender designs have a mid pot, but also treble and bass, but I don't want the signal loss you get. Is there a one pot stack that only cuts mids? I saw a presence control that used the NFB thru a cap, but it was a PP circuit with a LTP PI.... Thanks!

I have a Peavey Royal 8 amp I bought cheap for experimentation. Did not sound good.

I moved the tweed type t/c from before stage 2 to after stage 2. And wired it with the "bitmo " mod.

Between stages 1 & 2 I installed a big muff t/c with values chosen for a significant mid-scoop. This circuit reduces signal, but that is the trade off for flexibility, and it has a bypass switch.

The 2 single knob t/c's working in different stages give great flexibility of tone.

I adapted a big muff tone control for a different stompbox. Theres a high pass and a low pass filter and you pan between the two to tilt the tone from treble to bass. I also used a dual-gang pot to move the two filters either apart or together so the -3db frequencies either overlap for a mid boost, or have a gap for a mid cut.

If I recall correctly, the overall signal loss is much less than for a typical Fender or Marshall TMB stack. Also, if you want to investigate, Duncans Tone Stack Calculator is a great app for interactive tweaking and you can change all values. Findable by Google.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.