Recommendations on MIDI interface for Android? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2015, 10:43 AM   #1
Albertb is offline Albertb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Recommendations on MIDI interface for Android?

Hi guys. Apologies in advance for the level of request and if it is in the wrong place, I know very little about this aspect of music/kit.

I use a Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 36, an amp with midi control of all of its functions. There is an iPad app which is set up to allow real time control of the amp through a foot switch unit like the H&K FSM432, (which I have), and an interface like the iRig. This is a standard done deal, but it's Apple!

Recently a third party software house has written a similar app for Android devices which I would like to use in preference to the iPad version. I have no problems with the software side of this but the hardware needed is outside of my experience. I know the foot switch is compatible but I need an interface to connect to the tablet and control the amp and switch units. This is where I am out of my depth.

I know about USB Host compatibility, my tablet runs Android 4.4.2 so should have this. I know I need a USB OTG cable to allow bidirectional control. I'm stuck at the interface. I can find units which are fine with Windows and Mac OS, (the M-Audio Midisport 1x1 is at the level I was interested in), but nothing that mentions Android. Are interfaces inherently universal in this respect because of the universal nature of MIDI protocols? If the tablet is pumping out MIDI control data via USB can a standard Win/OS unit work with Android as well? If not can someone point me to a cheap 1x1 interface which will be compatible?

Thanks in advance.

Hide this!Advertise here!