1982 Fender Concert II - low volume? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2015, 07:34 PM   #1
cancon is offline cancon  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default 1982 Fender Concert II - low volume?

I've got a Rivera-era Fender Concert on the bench.

I've rebuilt the rectifier circuit and swapped out all the old Mallory electrolytics. All the important resistors check out OK and the main board caps are all orange drops which I don't believe need replacing. All the tubes have been tested, V1, phase inverter are new, and the output 6L6 set has been replaced and biased.

I think the amp sounds great, the 2nd channel is plenty loud. But, as it was when it arrived, I was surprised to see the first channel volume needing to be pushed up to 7 to be as loud as a 60s/70s era Fender set to 3. Is this normal?

The voltages on V1 and V2B are approx 200V on the plates and my test signal voltages corresponds to the mVac specs listed on the schematic at those tubes.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11th July 2015, 07:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
I would follow the stated signal path on the manual and watch the the levels. That will tell you straight away if there is an issue.
Old 12th July 2015, 05:22 AM   #3
cancon is offline cancon  Canada
diyAudio Member

I followed the service manual notes - all controls on max, boost off, with 1kHz @ 4mV rms. My measurements match the listed values.

I don't have as much experience with 80's+ circuits, I'm not sure if it's normal for the first channel to be so quiet v.s. a deluxe reverb (RI or not) at the same settings. If any other 80s Concert owners are reading this, please chime in!

Last edited by cancon; 12th July 2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 12th July 2015, 10:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
If the measurements are correct, then that is that. Must be a reason for it as that is how it was designed.
Old 13th July 2015, 03:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't know how much of a holdover the characteristics of those Rivera amps were compared to the red knob series but I had a red knob Super 112 and I had the same number differences as you had. Really nice cleans, as good as it gets but had to have it on 7 to be loud enough to cut through the mix.
There is quite a bit more output when overdriven to distortion so that could be a large part of it.

Hide this!Advertise here!