Biyang WANG AMPS VT-1H mini guitar amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The first brand new guitar amplifier I've ever bought "new" instead of built or repaired! Also my first Chinese amp...LOL! Hand-wired by a family operation.

Really cute circuit:

Most mini-amps are single-ended in the belief they are simpler, but end up inefficient and require a large power supply, filters, and heavy output transformer. They tend to model after the classic Champ.

This takes a different push/pull route. All tubes are dual triode preamp tubes, which actually work acceptably as output tubes when used in push/pull.

The first stage has both halves of a high-gain dual-triode in parallel.

Then there is a one-knob tone control, with the counter-clockwise "bass" setting shunting the pre-volume (right after the coupling cap from the previous plate) treble to ground via a cap, and the clockwise "treble" shunting the treble across the volume pot, like a variable "bright" switch. Not much gain loss.

Then the first side of the second high-gain preamp tube gives gain. The second half of that tube is a paraphase phase inverter.

Then the two halves of a moderate-gain higher-current dual triode are used as the push and pull output stages. Each stage pushes into a half of a 10K - 0 -10K primary on the small output transformer, with a single secondary labeled "8 to 16 ohms."

This is the smallest 3-tube push/pull I've ever seen. I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Judging from the YouTube clips, this thing is killer.

I guess it also shows that Chinese tubes are cheaper in China than Chinese transformers! Otherwise you could build a nice little 2-tube push/pull amp using an interstage transformer as the phase inverter.

I'm a bit intrigued by Rob Robinette's micro amps that use triode power amps, like the micro-Bassman.

I'm not at home, and I can't remember the tubes, but I got a lot off eBay that included some high current triodes that I think are normally used for triode power amps. At some point (after I complete my 4 or so pending projects) I'd like to do something with those.

I just happen to have been perusing his mods last night and I've had the micro-Champ and micro-Bassman in the back of my mind since I got those triodes. It looks like the Wang is OTL. I don't have a good handle on how to do those. I'd love to see a schematic. All the examples I've seen of OTL amps use 500-800ohm speakers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I just happen to have been perusing his mods last night and I've had the micro-Champ and micro-Bassman in the back of my mind since I got those triodes. It looks like the Wang is OTL. I don't have a good handle on how to do those. I'd love to see a schematic. All the examples I've seen of OTL amps use 500-800ohm speakers.

I assume you saw the output transformer in the picks of the Wang's VT-1H, nor OTL. A push-pull doesn't need much compared to a single-ended amp.

I was unable to find a schematic for the H&K Tubemiester 5. I'm not familiar with a 12BH7 dual triode...but they get a LOT more power out of it!

Thanks for the link to Rob Robinette's stuff!! I just happen to have those power transformers sitting around waiting for a decent project.

The big differences: The Wangs VT-1H uses parallel input stages to drive a volume and single tone control. Like a Fender without much of a "stack"... The micro bassman/JTM circuit has gain / vol / gain / cathode follower / stack / then a similar output scaled up for more power. Oh, and it has some negative feedback on a switch... The Wangs could probably use that...

These are all cute as heck! But...the Wangs is much less power and much much smaller.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.