Faylon P200 rebuild

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
after reading about impedance reflection, it would appear a 240V to 12V toroid would reflect 5 ohm to 2Kohm approximately

by calculating primary current for 440V and applying turn ratio, it appears the 240V to 12V windings would give approximately 96W

applied formula are :

240/12=20 (turn ratio)
5 ohm * 20 = 2000 ohm
440 / 2000 = 220mA primary current
220mA * 20 = 4,4A secondary
5 * 4,4 * 4,4 = 96,8W

is this the right way to approximate? I guess this is not far from reality as it corresponds to figures at 50Hz... I have currently a pair of EL36 and 4 waiting to be delivered

I also have 10 pieces of 6080 double triodes which would do well for experimenting with those small toroid transformers I have

the ideal scenario would be two 40W amps with the 6080 and a 100W sub/instrument amp

sup guys?

as easter holiday is there and I have some time to spend, I'll try to reproduce the following design I just found, which seems astonishingly to be the best bet for me for a guitar amp!

A new take on the Playmaster amp

I'll do a single pair, then double when I have reached functioning state and found a suitable output transformer

will let you know how it comes, first steps will be the PSU and chassis :)

Hi there,
First; Why don't you like to use a conventional tube like the 509?
You have to replace the Output Transformer any way, or you allready did.
I once had a Studio 100 (still have and a few more Faylons) that had been converted to EL34.
Sounded great and more then loud enough.
Only drawback is the high tension. A bit low for the EL34.
Using the EL503 is cray as these tubes are very hard to find and at a ridiculous price.
Although a very good tube, it came to late as the tube era whas dying (mid 1970's)
I remember the salesman from MBLE (Philipd Belgium) explaining me the then already high price for an EL503.
Due to the very narrow specs and mechanical tolerances only about 10 out of the 100 tubes were sale worthy. The rest got dumped.
It's a very fine tube with good sonic qualities. Needed a low +B voltage and didn't need much space. These have been used by at least 20 musical amp manufacturers around that time.
Further more; the transformers are made by Erea in Antwerpen, Belgium.
Very good transformers. They stopped to make audio transformers after Faylon.
And the latter is another sad story.

hi Tarzan,

I've decided to go the EL36 route as they have a lower B+ than EL34 and they come very cheap on ebay for most of the qualities of the EL34, especially the 6P35S equivalent

This is mostly an experimental amplifier for playing and learning the concepts, so this is out of the question for me to use expensive gear and risk frying it

Maybe you'd be interested in some EL503 I have as spares? I can trade for some OTs

Wel, EL36 will work but you have to swap the noval socket and install an octal. The EL509 is a noval style tube and this one can also be used. The rest is similar for both the EL36 and 509.
Although I repair amps, the last time I had an EL503 type of amp has been about 10 years ago. I still have 6 tubes in decent quality in my boxes and will use them only for repairs.
btw, I'm from Genk (met een K). Where do you come from?

I already have had the deep thinking of using audio tubes versus using cheap tubes... ;)

As they usually are 50% to 90% cheaper for usually 15% less power, sweep tubes and russian equivalents are the way to go for me

If all goes well and my audio toroids prove to come in handy I'll move to a stereo 6080 amplifier for my KEF C55 and maybe I'll plug my bass output to the 6P45S PP :) it should provide good experience with my personal taste (post hardcore, black metal, and other UFO music)

btw I'm from Tournai, not that far away from Genk but a tongue apart ;) nice to know that you're doing repairs, I might call in for some components if needed :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.