Replacing 3 Pin Rhodes Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

First time poster, I've decided to do a lot more electrical work so I thought I'd join here. I've used the forum before for previous projects so hopefully I'll be able to contribute in time.

I'm trying to replace an old 500uf 35v Mallory capacity with a polarised capacitor. After removing the existing cap from the PCB I noticed that there were 3 legs rather than the 2 I was expecting.

There were 2 symbols on the base of the cap, 1 square the other triangle and the third unmarked (I presume negative?)

16782915742_79e7366e5b.jpg

The guide on the left makes me think that it's a dual capacitor is that right?

16596630120_f92743eeff.jpg

Bearing that in mind, do I have to use 2 replacement capacitors to replace this? I was thinking 1 cap from Triangle to Negative and another cap from Square to Negative. Is that right?

16783768762_46ec92b670_z.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Yes, the plain one is negative, that is what the legend says on the side of the can.

Also yes, it is a dual cap. I doubt you will find the exact part, and if you do, please do not buy 30 year old new old stock caps. There are dual 500uf/35v caps, but mainly for high voltage and not likely to fit. I'd probably just use two individual caps and mount them somewhere nearby, then run wires back to those solder pads.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.