add an XLR out to an amp that doesn't have it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i tried searching this forum for this and didn't return anything useful.

I like the idea of skipping the use of a direct box by having the XLR out built in to the amp.

Anyone ever add that to an amp that doesn't have it already?

i've looked at several amp schematics to see how they do it and where they tap the signal.
i see a few methods.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

assuming your trying to have a balanced low impedance xlr line out for easy hookup for recording or pa send?
two ways to go: transformer or active balanced line driver.
what amp are you building this into?

probably active, as the example circuits in existing amps i've looked at don't use a transformer, but ICs.

it seems they are inserted between the preamp and power amp, generally after the master volume, IIRC.

I have a couple of targets. A Fender Deluxe 90 guitar amp and a Hartke HA 1400 bass amp.

Why don't you want to use a di?
Would removing the casing from a di, snagging DC power from the amp, and just extended the leads?

Just a quick and dirty idea.

Just one more thing to keep up with and requiring another cable to patch.

I can certainly do that, but I'd like to have a circuit that I could add to an amp, for the sake of useful DIY modding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,, you can use a pseudo balancer as on Rod Elliot's site. All it needs is a resistor and cap, and works fine. Lots of 'Pro' equipment is wired this way. You get the full noise rejection but not the 6dB gain of the balanced interface. The last diagram on this page: Balanced Transmitter and Receiver II Assume you already have an unbalanced driver, all you need is the two resistors and caps.

Else, use the DRV134 from TI. It needs a few external components and a dual supply. This gives you both the noise rejection and the 6dB gain.

I will be watching this and incorporate ing one into my build. Good thinking, I love my built in balanced out in my swr head.

I thought of something else, you might want the option of having a balanced output after your preamp, that way you have more control of your tone (and another reason it will be better than a di )

I've used a 100v line transformer tapping the speaker outputs to good effect.
100v side goes to the amplifier, low-voltage side goes to the desk. Its very cheap, passes full-range signal well, usually you can add an attenuator switch (just select a different tap), and you get the characteristic of the whole amplifier, rather than just the pre-amp.
Oh, and you can add it to pretty much any amplifier you like.

Chris

I just looked again at the schematic for my AMP and it uses a dual opamp, taking its signal directly from the input jacks, not further down the line between preamp and power amp.
I think I was remembering the headphone output being very simplistic and tapping the speaker for signal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.