hiss/noise from jcm clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I recently finished building a jcm 800 2204 clone but found an annoying background hiss.

With the guitar unplugged, The hiss reacts with eq and master volume adjustments.
The hiss will only go away if i pull out the phase inverter and/or power tubes. If i bias the tubes really cold the hiss goes silent.

I poked around the components with a wooden stick and moved wires around but found nothing that affectes the hiss.

What can i do??

Thanks.

Without hearing the actual hiss/noise it's hard to tell. But if it's the typical white/johnson noise, it might just be high value carbon (or metal film FWIW) resistors in series with a high gain stage, like huge grid stopper for example. But you'll have to come up with a bit more info the prevent this from becoming a guessing game. Schematics would be helpful.

Last edited:
It won't be output issues. If you effectively switch off the EL34's by increasing the bias voltage, the hiss will be inside the crossover point and not so noticeable. Connect a 22k 1/4 resistor in series with the control grids and the feeds. Connect the resistors to the valve base pins 2 and 7 on the ECC83. Try grounding the grids, one each in turn to stop input noise. Have you a circuit diagramme?

It won't be output issues. If you effectively switch off the EL34's by increasing the bias voltage, the hiss will be inside the crossover point and not so noticeable. Connect a 22k 1/4 resistor in series with the control grids and the feeds. Connect the resistors to the valve base pins 2 and 7 on the ECC83. Try grounding the grids, one each in turn to stop input noise. Have you a circuit diagramme?

sorry mate.I can't understand were to insert the resistor. Do only have to solder a 22k resistor between pins 2 and 7 of the second 12AX7 ?

I am racing the same issue here . A 60 or 120 Hz at the pin 7 of the second 12AX7. It's Dave form is like a horizontal " { " .
It is a clone of a classic jcm800 2204 I have made.

Other than that the sound is great.

Thanks.

Without hearing the actual hiss/noise it's hard to tell. But if it's the typical white/johnson noise, it might just be high value carbon (or metal film FWIW) resistors in series with a high gain stage, like huge grid stopper for example. But you'll have to come up with a bit more info the prevent this from becoming a guessing game. Schematics would be helpful.

Try reducing the 68K input resistor that goes to pin 7 of the first tube to 15K or so. If it is carbon comp, change it to metal film.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.