Guitar Pedal Design EE Senior Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on this forum. I currently working on my senior electrical engineering design project. My partner and I are working on designing a guitar effects pedal. Essentially we are working on something like this Blackbird Vacuum Tube Preamp | effectrode, where the pedal has a vacuum tube for pre-amp gain, and then it goes it to several bands of analog EQ filtering. Right now we are just trying to write out the basic specifications for our proposal.

What is the maximum allowable voltage signal for the input of a guitar amplifier? We are trying to figure out what the maximum gain and output voltage for a project can be and we can't quite seem to figure it out. Any help or tips you all can give us would be greatly appreciated.

For a classic reference, study the input jacks and first triode in a Fender AB763 schematic.

If you're not referencing existing designs (and existing papers/books on the subject) your supervisor should be marking you down. And hard - a literature review is Step 1 in any project.

If you have some leeway to get off the beaten track, remote cutoff pentodes allow vibrato and compression effects (at the front end), plus asymmetric distortion if used at larger voltages (at the higher voltage end).

Power management is the biggest challenge in pedals - you can't use mains directly and the classic 9V cell won't last long on heater duties.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.