D.I.Y. 100 Dollar Guitar Amp ! 6V6/6L6 PP ! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 22nd February 2014, 09:15 AM   #1
Account disabled at member's request

Default D.I.Y. 100 Dollar Guitar Amp ! 6V6/6L6 PP !

Better late then never ! Ok I guess I'm a few years late for the challenge but I saved the best wine for last ! .
I made a PP 6V6 / 6L6 Guitar Amp for 100 Dollars ! . I saw the challenge to make one and decided to give it a try ! . 20 dollars for PT and Choke - Navy Surplus used .
23 dollars Chassis . 12 dollars tube sockets . 30 dollars (new) OT 35 watt PP .
5 dollars for 40 feet of copper wire. 4 dollars for 2 new pots. 10 dollars total for the recycled misc. parts , switches , plugs , used large caps and for a fuse holder .
I'm At 84 dollars now ! .
16 dollars still left for a few new resistors and for the used tubes. two tubes were 50 cents , two were 3 dollars. The 2x4 was included in the 23 dollars up above and it was 70 % off because it was warped and it Makes no-difference using only 12 inch pieces ! .
I just barely made it at 100 dollars ! . Only because I had already bought most of the parts really cheap ! .

Two 6V6 , One 5Y3, One 6SN7 , and One 6SQ7 . Design was Based upon A 1948 GE and 1953 and A Gretch model with cathode bias . I decided against using a 6SC7 phase inverter like the Gretch did .
It Can use a 5U4 , 6SL7 and two 6L6's also , but not for only 100 dollars ! .

100 Dollar Guitar amp - A mission that is not impossible ! .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100 dollar DIY amp 022.jpg (29.4 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 100 dollar DIY amp 001.jpg (18.0 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg 100 dollar DIY amp 005.jpg (21.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 100 dollar DIY amp 021.jpg (28.5 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by Gary Vee; 24th February 2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: typos

Old 22nd February 2014, 11:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Building one for $100 would be no problem for the participants of the Challenge. Designing it so others could do it also, that was the tricky part.

Old 23rd February 2014, 03:40 AM   #3
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  Germany
diyAudio Member

Check your math. You're way over $100. still, you got out with a new amp, so you got that going for you.

Old 23rd February 2014, 04:26 AM   #4
Account disabled at member's request

Printer 2 - I Don't think I could design one for only 100 dollars that others could build - not one with a power transformer or push pull transformers ! .
and Kuro Guy I was at 85 dollars when I should of said 84 dollars actually when I re-checked the math ! .

I could make a side push SE line stereo amp for right around 100 though with two used 5 tube radios ! .
I'm not afraid of line amps with indexed power chords and a fuse !
They are just about the same as what everything else new is made with today even the computers we are on ! .
I would actually perfer line amps over all transformer amps , the problem is our wimpy little 120 volt USA power grids ! .

DC is basically the old Edison school of thought and I am from the more modern Tesla AC way of thinking !
The fuse was actually Edisons greatest invention I think after his failed light bulb and his successful light bulb ! .
Why should I use a DC power transformer to add more noise and add more bass if neither one is necessary ?
The whole DC thing with low 115 line current is a pure money making scam of Edison from what I see it as being .

Tesla " Mr. AC Power " was gonna give US free electricity and Edison , JP Morgan and Marconi sold it to US , RCA basically was The Racketeering Corporation of America and there is Edisons other Company GE ! .

Last edited by Gary Vee; 23rd February 2014 at 04:50 AM.

Old 23rd February 2014, 05:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

where did you get the 35w Output transformer for $30

Old 23rd February 2014, 07:38 AM   #6
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

The Hundred-Buck Amp Challenge

I knew we had it somewhere, but could not find it because it was made 'sticky'

Old 23rd February 2014, 12:59 PM   #7
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  Germany
diyAudio Member

20+23+12+30+5+4+10=109. Then you added 15 for resistors and tubes.

Old 23rd February 2014, 01:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I counted $120 so ummmmm..........

Old 23rd February 2014, 02:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Vee View Post
Printer 2 - I Don't think I could design one for only 100 dollars that others could build - not one with a power transformer or push pull transformers ! .
and Kuro Guy I was at 85 dollars when I should of said 84 dollars actually when I re-checked the math ! .

I could make a side push SE line stereo amp for right around 100 though with two used 5 tube radios ! .
I'm not afraid of line amps with indexed power chords and a fuse !
They are just about the same as what everything else new is made with today even the computers we are on ! .
I would actually perfer line amps over all transformer amps , the problem is our wimpy little 120 volt USA power grids ! .

DC is basically the old Edison school of thought and I am from the more modern Tesla AC way of thinking !
The fuse was actually Edisons greatest invention I think after his failed light bulb and his successful light bulb ! .
Why should I use a DC power transformer to add more noise and add more bass if neither one is necessary ?
The whole DC thing with low 115 line current is a pure money making scam of Edison from what I see it as being .

Tesla " Mr. AC Power " was gonna give US free electricity and Edison , JP Morgan and Marconi sold it to US , RCA basically was The Racketeering Corporation of America and there is Edisons other Company GE ! .
Line powered amps are a no-no. What makes you think a fuse will blow before you do, also indexed power cords assume the person wiring the outlet actually did it properly. Also computer ps's have a transformer in them to isolate the main's from the rest of the computer.

Old 24th February 2014, 09:11 AM   #10
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

please no more talk about direct mains powered amps

it is illegal and forbidden by forum rules

moderation

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!