A technical triode preamp question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2014, 03:02 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

The low plate voltages of this circuit is exasperating me! A B+ of 108VDC and plate current of 108/470K= 0.11 mA is barely even on the plate graph for a 12AT6.... How does this tube even work?? Has anyone written anything about this realm of tube application?
Old 22nd February 2014, 09:42 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATUBEGEEK View Post
The low plate voltages of this circuit is exasperating me! A B+ of 108VDC and plate current of 108/470K= 0.11 mA is barely even on the plate graph for a 12AT6.... How does this tube even work?? Has anyone written anything about this realm of tube application?
See the other thread, you need to change the B+ voltage drop resistor to a much smaller value (plus a bypass capacitor say 20uF) , and add a plate resistor.
Old 22nd February 2014, 03:11 PM   #13
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

To run at low voltages you need low mu valves. 12AT6 has mu=70, far too high.
Old 22nd February 2014, 07:11 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

The 12AT6 was in the intercom originally.....I'd hook you up with the original designer, but he's probably dead (RIP)....I added a 12AU7 (low mu), but have a 12BH7A, with a Mu of 16.5... may try it instead. Don't have many other 7pin tubes (other than a matched pair of 6V6 clone 6AQ5A's that I'm dying to push-pull for 10 watts, but that's a future project!).
Old 23rd February 2014, 04:58 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I think DF96 was just mentioning IF you want to run at low voltage, but there is really no reason to run any of the tubes at low voltage, when you are converting it the intercom to a guitar amp.
Old 23rd February 2014, 12:58 PM   #16
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  United States
diyAudio Member

Go to your local hamfest. 7 pin tubes are a buck a peice all day long.
Old 23rd February 2014, 05:04 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks all for the info and suggestions. I'm just wanting to understand how tubes work at low voltages (there are plenty of vintage stuff that had them). Am finding out not that desireable...., but is still good to explore and learn.

Hide this!Advertise here!