EL 34 / 6L6 SE Guitar Amp Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2014
This project is with One 6V6 EL 34 or 6L6 tube . It is a 5Y3 or 5U4 Rectifier and 6SQ7 pre-amp tube ! .

I had most of these parts already and I basically just made this amp out of my savage parts that were laying around .

Chassis was too small , I decided to make another chassis and take the 100 dollar guitar amp challenge !

Attachments

• tube amp project 001.jpg
    tube amp project 001.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 218
  • tube amp project 012.jpg
    tube amp project 012.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 48
  • tube amp project 011.jpg
    tube amp project 011.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 48
  • tube amp project 009.jpg
    tube amp project 009.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 60
  • tube amp project 008.jpg
    tube amp project 008.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 58
  • tube amp project 007.jpg
    tube amp project 007.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 47
  • tube amp project 006.jpg
    tube amp project 006.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 211
  • tube amp project 005.jpg
    tube amp project 005.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 206
  • tube amp project 004.jpg
    tube amp project 004.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 208
  • tube amp project 002.jpg
    tube amp project 002.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Gary,
These little amps can be gorgeous.
Would have thought you may be struggling for gain with a single 6SQ7 for the preamp.

If so you may condsider trying a 6SJ7 pentode.

For your reference (and possible interest) here is one from a 1940's design.
Clever tone control around the output tube (6V6) which would also work with the 6L6 for sure and probably with the EL34 too.
The 80 rectifier is forerunner to the 5Y3. The 6J7 are ST shape with a grid top cap. 6SJ7 is equivalent. Input 6J7 is triode strapped, 2nd is pentode mode. This one sounded stunning with my Telecaster. That schematic is accurate except for a 15K grid stop resistor on the 6V6.

Cheers,
Ian

Attachments

• Harmonica Amp.jpg
    Harmonica Amp.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 140
Disabled Account
Joined 2014
The amp was too small , some 6SQ7's can work !

Thanks Gingerwood for the input and diagram . The 6SQ7 tubes have a microphonic problem and it took me 3 of them to find a good one - A GE ! .
A very Nice sounding guitar tube ! . The tube is Not loud enough on it's own though - it needs another tube to help increase the volume up some more .
The Quality of tone and everything else a guitarist could want was there with a 6SQ7 , It worked best with a EL 34 and a 5U4 rectifier .
I'm Building a bigger chassis for it right now and I'm not really done with this tubes testing yet ! . The biggest problem that I see is the microphonic tube issue ! ,
It does have a father tube a grid clip 6Q7 - 100 gain that was made in a small GT size glass , these may actually be a much better option due to the microphonic issue.
I will compare the diagram you posted to a Gretch model G6156 diagram that I found and see which one of them seems to be the best one to build .
The Gretch design is push pull 6V6 , the hum was pretty loud with this SE amp ,
so I think maybe the Gretch's design built with 6L6's instead of 6V6 or EL 34 is how I should go with it ?
With a smaller power transformer then mine - I think it could work out good in SE ! .
I like SE sound but the hum is just a little bit too much for me to handle.
I ordered a PP output transformer for it to try it again using two output tubes .

The Field Coil Speaker was original on this amp.
I've since collected about 8 of these Field Coil Speakers from 8" up to 12". I think Field Coil Speakers do something special for guitar.

The schematic is from Australian "Radio TV and Hobbies" magazine, June 1942, a article titled "Two High gain Amplifiers". The article has full schematics and construction details. I have a 7 MByte scan of that magazine. PM me with an email address if you want it. Half of it is interesting valve design stuff and half of it is war propaganda (WW2).

Otherwise this is all I have.

Cheers,
Ian

Attachments

• MVC-900F.JPG
    MVC-900F.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 49
  • MVC-897F.JPG
    MVC-897F.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 47
  • MVC-896F.JPG
    MVC-896F.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 56
  • MVC-894F.JPG
    MVC-894F.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Harmonica Amp.jpg
    Harmonica Amp.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 133
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.