Diy combo guitar amp build log - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2014, 05:28 PM   #1
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Diy combo guitar amp build log

While waiting for parts to arrive for my other amp project I decided to build a combo unit figuring if one amp is good, two is at least twice as good. I designed the cabinet in CAD and started by sending the amp brackets and speaker baffle to the CNC. Next, i'll cut the cabinet sides, top, and bottom from wood and then the front panel and tube mount panel from aluminum. For now, here's a picture of the first parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-01-26 11.34.05.jpg (947.2 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by kuroguy; 26th January 2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 27th January 2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Mikey R is offline Mikey R  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'll be watching to see how you put this one together
Old 29th January 2014, 06:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Here's a picture if the front panel and how it will attach to the amp brackets with the flat bar for the components. Still need to machine the component bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (636.9 KB, 193 views)
Old 29th January 2014, 09:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here's a couple with the amp panels assembled to the carrier brackets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-01-29 17.12.46.jpg (813.9 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-01-29 17.13.12.jpg (620.5 KB, 171 views)
Old 31st January 2014, 08:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I managed an hour in the shop today so I worked on the enclosure. It's 4 sides held together with pocket screws (from the outside). Screwing from the outside will allow me to round over the corners without hitting the screws. The screws hold everything in place while the glue makes it permanent. Next I'll sand the enclosure, round over the edges, and cover it with tolex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-01-31 15.46.00.jpg (423.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-01-31 15.46.17.jpg (464.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-01-31 15.43.17.jpg (353.2 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-01-31 15.43.07.jpg (408.4 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by kuroguy; 31st January 2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 1st February 2014, 02:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

just a cosmetic thing but wouldn't "chicken head" knobs be a tip of the hat to old tube guitar amps!

nice build so far!
is that birch ply your using?
people with cnc stuff make me jealous!
Old 1st February 2014, 03:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That is Birch ply. It is void free and flat. very much unlike all the other plywood sold at Lowes and home depot. Also, any roughness on the surface of the plywood will show through the tolex.

By the way, i'm not a fan of the chicken head knob look.That and they're quite expensive. Not a concern if you only need one, but six of them adds significantly to the overall cost of the project.
Old 1st February 2014, 03:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

... and by the way, aside from the lettering on the panel, this entire amp can be made with a router, drill press, table saw, and chop saw. In fact,you can omit the two saws if you have a couple clamps and a straight edge that can be used as a fence for the router.
Old 1st February 2014, 08:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Edges routed with a 1/2" roundover bit (what a mess that was), filled, sanded, and the parts that will show painted black. Next I'll cover itwith tolex and install corner guards and the handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-02-01 16.28.41.jpg (358.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-02-01 16.28.50.jpg (352.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 1st February 2014, 08:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

i generally acquire them by canabalizing old scopes or chassis's heading for the scrap heap.
i try to re-cycle/freecycle stuff i've got about two thirds of a coffee can full.
but if your not a fan of the look...

Hide this!Advertise here!