diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Instruments and Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/instruments-amps/)
-   -   Diy combo guitar amp build log (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/instruments-amps/250021-diy-combo-guitar-amp-build-log.html)

kuroguy 26th January 2014 05:28 PM

Diy combo guitar amp build log

1 Attachment(s)
While waiting for parts to arrive for my other amp project I decided to build a combo unit figuring if one amp is good, two is at least twice as good. I designed the cabinet in CAD and started by sending the amp brackets and speaker baffle to the CNC. Next, i'll cut the cabinet sides, top, and bottom from wood and then the front panel and tube mount panel from aluminum. For now, here's a picture of the first parts.

Mikey R 27th January 2014 12:20 PM

I'll be watching to see how you put this one together :)

kuroguy 29th January 2014 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture if the front panel and how it will attach to the amp brackets with the flat bar for the components. Still need to machine the component bracket.

kuroguy 29th January 2014 09:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple with the amp panels assembled to the carrier brackets.

kuroguy 31st January 2014 08:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I managed an hour in the shop today so I worked on the enclosure. It's 4 sides held together with pocket screws (from the outside). Screwing from the outside will allow me to round over the corners without hitting the screws. The screws hold everything in place while the glue makes it permanent. Next I'll sand the enclosure, round over the edges, and cover it with tolex.

turk 182 1st February 2014 02:30 PM

just a cosmetic thing but wouldn't "chicken head" knobs be a tip of the hat to old tube guitar amps!

nice build so far!
is that birch ply your using?
people with cnc stuff make me jealous!

kuroguy 1st February 2014 03:23 PM

That is Birch ply. It is void free and flat. very much unlike all the other plywood sold at Lowes and home depot. Also, any roughness on the surface of the plywood will show through the tolex.

By the way, i'm not a fan of the chicken head knob look.That and they're quite expensive. Not a concern if you only need one, but six of them adds significantly to the overall cost of the project.

kuroguy 1st February 2014 03:42 PM

... and by the way, aside from the lettering on the panel, this entire amp can be made with a router, drill press, table saw, and chop saw. In fact,you can omit the two saws if you have a couple clamps and a straight edge that can be used as a fence for the router.

kuroguy 1st February 2014 08:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Edges routed with a 1/2" roundover bit (what a mess that was), filled, sanded, and the parts that will show painted black. Next I'll cover itwith tolex and install corner guards and the handle.

turk 182 1st February 2014 08:43 PM

i generally acquire them by canabalizing old scopes or chassis's heading for the scrap heap.
i try to re-cycle/freecycle stuff i've got about two thirds of a coffee can full.
but if your not a fan of the look...