Diy combo guitar amp build log - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2014, 07:42 PM   #31
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  United States
diyAudio Member

Transformers arrive later this week so I started wiring this amp. Here's the power supply caps and dropping resistors and a picture of the power,standby, and overdrive switch and LEDs. I use spare switch contacts as a terminal point for the LEDs. Power comes in the bottom and out to the LED from the middle. The LED lands on the top and then the return is from the top terminal. This way I don't need to add a terminal strip at the front panel and the wiring remains nice and neat. The LED is on when the switch is in the up position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-02-23 15.04.14.jpg (534.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-02-23 15.26.27.jpg (527.3 KB, 74 views)
Old 25th February 2014, 01:37 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Worked on the LED wiring. A few zip ties will clean it up nicely. Also got the filament wiring done. The terminal strips for the LEDs, filament/pilot lights, fuse block are all on the left side of the amp. This is the "dirty" side and is furthestbfrom the audio amplification/signal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140224_212634.jpg (354.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140224_212657.jpg (374.0 KB, 55 views)
Old 26th February 2014, 01:47 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Managed to get it about half way wired in about one and a half hours tonight. Will get the rest wired later this week. Also heard from Edcor today. They're running a little behind and should ship the iron next week. Still, 7 weeks lead time for the significant savings Edcor offers isa great deal any way you look at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-02-25 21.37.28.jpg (468.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 26th February 2014, 10:23 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

looking good man. Make sure you double check Edcor's transformers before installing. They had taps that were the wrong colours according to the wire diagram (and common logic). It has happened to more people than just me. Other than that they are a good bargain for American iron.
Old 27th February 2014, 01:37 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Aside from mounting and wiring the transformers, this amp is done. I expext the transformers to arrive next thursday or friday and I can hardly wait. The first pic shows the overall wiring. The second pic shows the power supply. All those white wires are the various grounds connected to the star ground. hopefully, this amp will be silent until i command it to be crazy loud and distorted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-02-26 21.27.39.jpg (632.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-02-26 21.27.58.jpg (619.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 27th February 2014, 03:52 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroguy View Post
I'm not so sure about the logo. I think i'll leave it off for now.
Nah! Put it on - I've been putting DUD25 and DUD15 on the little amps I've been designing and building.
DUD being a bit of tongue in cheek for "Down Under Design".

The guys I built the amps for love it but various others have given me a bit of "stick" about it saying I should take the amp building more seriously and that name does not present me as a serious professional.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 7th March 2014, 04:15 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

transformers finally arrived. I estimate I'll have this amp done and buttoned up about 10 minutes after I get home from work tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1563.jpg (618.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 8th March 2014, 07:14 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

It's alive. 6av6 seems a bit microphonic and this amp squeals from the microphonic feedback with gain and overdrive all the way up when the volume is aboveabout 70%. Not sure what to do about that yet. Suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-03-08 14.38.00.jpg (417.8 KB, 9 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!