WaH wAh PeDaLs! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2003, 05:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to guitargully
Default WaH wAh PeDaLs!

Whats's inside a wah wah pedal? Last time i asked what was inside a foot switch i was answered with some surprisingly simple answers, and after a run to home depot and 2.65 for a switch, along with some scrap steel i had laying around, i saved 16 bucks on a foot switch to change the channel on my amp. And now i sorta want a wah wah pedal.. i have no idea whats inside one or how it works.. so any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 29th December 2003, 06:12 AM   #2
fender4 is offline fender4  United States
diyAudio Member

I think most passive wahs are just a potentiometer and a tone control circuit. The motion of the foot pedal turns the pot and changes the tone.

I've never looked inside one, but I think that's it. Could be a pretty easy/fun project. There might some DIY guitar sites out there with schematics for a wah circuit...check with google.

Good luck!

f4
Old 29th December 2003, 09:30 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The Waa sound is produced by sweeping a notch filter - this significantly cuts a small band of frequencies, and is much more savage than a tone control circuit. most commercial designs are quite simple, but do use an inductor which may take some sourcing. Have a look at http://www.musicianstechcentral.com/schmatic.html

Cheers
Old 29th December 2003, 09:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folder...edl/wahped.htm
Old 31st December 2003, 04:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

A wahwah 'sounds like' a bandpass filter, with a Q of around 2-5. Some are, some are resonant lowpass filters, and at least one was a parametric peak filter. What matters is the resonant peak sweeping up and down in frequency, and the amount of bass and/or treble that also leak through are a matter of taste. The 'classic' wah is a weird lowpass filter with an inductor (adds a little distortion and character) and a capacitance multiplier controlled by a pot.

There are oodles of schematics all over the internet, commercial devices and homebrew - google 'guitar effects schematics', for example. They all sound different.
Old 31st December 2003, 05:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

after looking at many schems from those links, it apears that most wah pedals and distortion circuts have transistors.. i'm pretty new to electronics, especially audio stuff, and was wondering how much transistors are (ones suitable for wah pedals and distortion circuts) and another noobie question: On a schem when there's a (example) "+9v" or "-9v".. does it matter how many watts the power source will supply.. (as long as theres enough..err.. is it possible to over power somthing?) Yea sorry.. i'm a noobie..
Old 31st December 2003, 05:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

AIR, most wah-wahs (and other) pedels ran off a 9V battery that was inside the pedel. This in turn required very low curent levels, probally in the 10 to 20 mA range, or lower. Transistors were used as that was cheaper to maunfacture. This was long before low voltage op-amps - or even op-amps that were affordable.
Old 31st December 2003, 07:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

alright thanks, but how much are transistors.. just a broad price range would be good.. thanks
Old 2nd January 2004, 06:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

In the range 20 to 50 cents each - certainly won't break the bank !

Cheers
Old 2nd January 2004, 05:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

dah! sorry.. i was thinking they were closer to tube prices for w/e reason... yup that prooves it.. i'm a noob

Hide this!Advertise here!