Foot Switches - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2003, 02:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to guitargully
Question Foot Switches

Hello again.

I just got a Crate 150w 2 channel amp. It has a place for a foot switch to change it from channel A to B. Yea, you can buy a switch for 20 bucks, but what's inside one? Is there a cheaper DIY way of building one? One more thing.. I also recently got a BOSS (tm) Mega Distortion 2 (tm) effects foot switch. It sounds awsome.. that is until you turn the amp up and get a LOT of feedback.. It helps if you turn the distortion/tone/gain/level down,(on the pedal) but then it doesnt sound as cool. Is there any way to filter out the feedback?
Old 27th December 2003, 04:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Usually the footswitch is just an spst switch that shorts out the tip and sleeve of the 1/4" jack at the end of the cord. Try plugging in a normal guitar cord to the footswitch input and make a connection between the tip and sleeve at the other end with a wire/coin/tongue/whatever and see if the channel changes. This can give you an idea of what type of switching it needs.

As for the other problem, it is far beyond my comprehension why anybody would want to get rid of guitar feedback. But the only way to do it would be to either move the amp and/or yourself around the room to find a feedback-free combo, or to lower the volume of the amp. Theres just no other way.

-Chris
Old 27th December 2003, 05:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to bobcat190
Hey guitargully

I would just like to know but what model Crate did you get? cause i own one. 130C. I don't know but i feel a spst swich would work.

God I hate feedback!.....I've heard that some Fuzz-boxs can cut back on feedback real good.
Old 27th December 2003, 12:02 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

hmmm i got it used from a guy that got it used from another guy.. it's seen some hours! On the back I think there's a thing that says "Model # G1500"... i think that's the right number. It's 150w at 4ohms with a 2ohm minimum. Although it's old, I recovered it with some black vinyl and cleaned it all up and it looks brand new (sounds good to). All i need is like 4 knobs.. they got lost somewhere along the way. BTW: I got a Marshall cab.. 120w max.. o well- at least it's a bit newer than the head. Happy playing!

Mike
Old 27th December 2003, 12:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Talking IT WORKS!

Well I ran down to the basement and pluged the cable into the footswitch place.. crossed the other ends with a screwdriver and the channel channged.. now i just gotta get s switch and build a box

Hide this!Advertise here!