Guitar preamp x stereo boombox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Soo,
my artist friends now ask me to hook an electric guitar (a bass, really) to the boombox...:note::note:
I havent found much suitable circuits, so I have made a tentative on my own.
It should work with any electric guitar to any home stereo or boombox (BTW, like http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/231350-aura-ns6-255-8a-6-12-l-ported-box-4.html#post3515004) line input.

Just do not abuse of your home stereo with your rock guitar! It won't last long :devily::devily:
Supply is the usual 9V battery, should last about one day of operation.
Gain is 50, if somebody wants more, just change R6 to a bigger value.
I have use quad op-amps, since I have some good ones at home, so I have used one stage just for the voltage splitter. Of course a dual op-am (i.e. TL072) would do, just use two 1k resistors for a rough voltage spitter.
Any comment or suggestion is welcome...

Attachments

• Pre1.pdf
    15.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Pre1PCB.pdf
    26.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Thanks to all for the kind answers.
Some small improvements.
I added a poor man limiter (or soft clipping) using blue LEDs. They should start to act around 3Vpp , that is almost the value that saturates my boombox.
We'll see if it works.

There would be many nice things that could be done with the remaining op-amp, but that would inevitably complicate the circuit (that is already too much in my opinion) so I decided to do nothing.

BTW I am not too concerned for my boombox. If you have a look on the thread/ pictures you'll see that is done exactly for rough use. It survived already a dance summer camp....outdoors in the Alps ....and then this is DIY audio.....

Attachments

• Pre1_8.pdf
    17.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Pre1_8PCB.pdf
    30.9 KB · Views: 32
Prototype done!: ):):)
And tested with generator and scope:
The input is correctly amplified about 50x starting from about 15 hz to well after 10K, no instability or problems shown.

Clipping with the diodes happens at about 5.5 Vpp, when the diodes are fully bright.

Also I have done a test connecting it to my subwoofer amplifier, and using a small speaker driver as input ( I do not have an actual guitar by myself).
The thinghy is unbeliavely stable, and the noise floor is fair even with the cheap LF347 of the test setup... Consider the usual test setup, no shield/box, cables everywhere.
Even with a 100K series to the input speaker-microphone, it works very fine as a voice amplifier, just the hiss raises, of course.
So, it is time to close it in a nice box and give it to the rockers!

Attachments

• proto.jpg
    proto.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 74
  • clipping.jpg
    clipping.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 10Ksig.jpg
    10Ksig.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 1ksig.jpg
    1ksig.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 73
  • 100sig.jpg
    100sig.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 80
  • LedClip.jpg
    LedClip.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 35
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.