XLR input coupling cap replacement ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sorry maybe i'm tin eared when it comes to hearing sonic differences in cap types.
i will say that replacing old 'lytic's and cheap coupling cap's can breathe new life into an old chassis and in some instances can seriously help standard consumer audio but all things being equal to say i could tell the sound of an "orange drop" vs "crap green mylar" or whatever "special type" no not i.
and in light of a potential supply/suitability problem i wonder if the difference is worth the effort?

Changing from a non-polar electrolytic to a metalized film capacitor is a common practice when seeking better sound quality. Are you implying it's not a valid thing to do?

Interesting you used the term 'seeking' and not 'achieving' :D

I wonder how many people just imagine it 'sounds better' after spending lot's of money changing capacitors?.

It's valid IF you can measure a difference afterwards, or can tell the difference in double-blind tests.

The TRW-35s are nice high current, low ESR polypropylene caps designed for demanding use in switching power supplies. TRW Capacitors got absorbed and turned into American Shizuki (ASC) a long time ago, so no surpise that data on these caps is scarce.

Thanks for this information! I haven't have a chance to work on installing these caps yet, am busy now putting together into a TK2050 amp for a friend. I will report result after installation.

sorry maybe i'm tin eared when it comes to hearing sonic differences in cap types.
i will say that replacing old 'lytic's and cheap coupling cap's can breathe new life into an old chassis and in some instances can seriously help standard consumer audio but all things being equal to say i could tell the sound of an "orange drop" vs "crap green mylar" or whatever "special type" no not i.
and in light of a potential supply/suitability problem i wonder if the difference is worth the effort?
You do live sound and you can't hear differences in capacitor types ????.

Dan.

not at my age i guess and if your telling me you can i hope your ability is making you a tremendous income!

and when it comes to live sound there are so many factors/circumstances/problems that can impact sound quality long before capacitor choices but that's just me.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.