seriously thinking about building this schematic. Can you find any issues with it? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2013, 11:04 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Here's a photo of my progress so far. The chassis box turned out to be a little small so I'm having one made up for me. Anyhow, will the diodes cause any noise issues being placed on the main board like that?

I've built several amps from premade chassis and premade eyelet boards, with easy to follow layouts (Fenders & a Marshall), but this is the first one that I've created a layout for and built my own boards[and will be drilling the chassis too].

How's it look so far?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th November 2013, 12:26 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Biscuit View Post
ok here's an updated drawing.

As for the power tube screen resistors, can anyone help me understand what their function is?

Plus, I'm looking at C2 & C3. Any reason not to just use a single 30uF or just drop the 10uF?

Click the image to open in full size.
Single 30 uF is fine. Screen resistors limit the current to the screens when the amp is driven hard. The plate voltage on the output tubes drops with a large signal and the screen is more positive than the plate. This attracts more electrons causing more current to flow in the screens. The resistor causes a voltage drop lowering the difference between the plate and screen hopefully preventing burning up the screens. Older amps did not have them but then again the designers did not think we were going to overdrive the amps.
Old 11th November 2013, 12:49 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printer2 View Post
Single 30 uF is fine. Screen resistors limit the current to the screens when the amp is driven hard. The plate voltage on the output tubes drops with a large signal and the screen is more positive than the plate. This attracts more electrons causing more current to flow in the screens. The resistor causes a voltage drop lowering the difference between the plate and screen hopefully preventing burning up the screens. Older amps did not have them but then again the designers did not think we were going to overdrive the amps.

Thank you very much for the insight.

I checked against a couple other 6L6 schematics and they used 1w resistors so that's what I got for it.

Hide this!Advertise here!