A simple piezo snare drum - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2013, 04:04 PM   #21
didge is offline didge  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, sorry I was so reactionary. I wish more info and pics about the device I saw involving a piezo in foam in a box with a license plate on top. It really sounded good. Every nuance of sound translated nicely. For instance, if you tap on one part of the license plate (a flat spot between the numbers) you get one tone, and if you tap on another part of the plate (eg, where there is a number and therefore raised, tighter metal) you get another tone. If you tap on the wood, you get yet anothee tone, and the closer you come to tapping right where the piezo is buried just behind the wood, the bassier the tone. The device is in another state and I am trying to track the person that had it to see if he can send me some pictures of it. But while I was there, I did unscrew the license plate and look in the wooden box it was mounted on (the box was about 3" thick with a length and width of the license plate) and saw that there was a piezo sensor encased in foam inside. I don't recall seeing any other wlectrical components, not that they weren't there, but that I didn't see them. The cable coming from the box had a 1/4" connector on the other end and plugged straight into the guy's guitar amp. I sat there and tapped on it for quite a while, imagining all the things I might be able to do with one of those. If it sounded that good, then surely it could portray more than adequately the sound of a clave.
Old 10th September 2013, 04:06 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

I am confused about the signal conditioner and battery. The signal conditioner is a preamp?
Old 10th September 2013, 04:16 PM   #23
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Signal conditioner is a fancier (i.e., more money) way of saying preamp.
Old 10th September 2013, 04:59 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Well my mixer already has a preamp, so what am I missing? I've been told here that I need FET signal conditioning to match impedance, but I just watched several videos, like the following, where they just wired a piezo straight without it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osFf...e_gdata_player
More confuses than ever.
Old 10th September 2013, 05:01 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Also, I looked at the Didgikey site and am wondering which of their many piezo film transducers would be best for my application:
Invalid Request
Old 10th September 2013, 05:02 PM   #26
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by didge View Post
Well my mixer already has a preamp, so what am I missing? I've been told here that I need FET signal conditioning to match impedance, but I just watched several videos, like the following, where they just wired a piezo straight without it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osFf...e_gdata_player
More confuses than ever.
Well, it costs nothing to try straight in. For a trigger, that can work since the loss in bass response is meaningless. But you need a high input impedance to get a good response from a PZT film, and your mixer's input impedance is likely about 3 orders of magnitude too low.
Old 10th September 2013, 05:03 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Unless you are dead set on building it yourself you could get a snare module from here:

The CONCUSSOR modular synthesizer - compatible with Doefper A100 and RS Integrator modular synth

You'd still have to build/buy a suitable power supply and enclosure to fit it in plus some way of triggering it.

Doepfer sell cute little cases with built in PSU which would fit.
Homepage englisch

As far as I know both have US distributors.
Old 10th September 2013, 05:04 PM   #28
diyAudio Moderator

I'd start with this one:

Invalid Request

It has leads rather than tabs, making it harder to screw up by enthusiastic soldering.
Old 10th September 2013, 05:19 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm just going to start experimenting with the radio shack sensor and then go from there.
Old 11th September 2013, 02:40 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

So far so good. I wired up a radio shack piezo and taped it to the outside wall of my didgeridoo as a first experiment. It doesn't pick up the vibrations from playing the didge very well, but I believe this is because this particular didge has pretty thick walls. What it does very nicely, however, is mic finger taps on the outside of the didge, a common didgeing technique. Now to get out my claves...
Should I take the piezi out of the plastic housing it came in to get more sensitivity? Not sure how it comes off.

Hide this!Advertise here!