Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2013, 08:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Please critique my first compressor design (for bass guitar)

Hello everyone.

I have at home a bunch of EBF89 tubes so i figured i try something new with them. I know, that they are not good for audio use, but im still in the phase of learning, so i think they are the perfect tubes for experiments. If this experiment gives me something usable i would like to implement it in a bass tube preamp (most likely a Alembic f2b copy).

For the last two weeks i have studied some compressor designs and came up with this schematic:

Click the image to open in full size.

Im still not satisfied with the design. First of all im not really sure im using the remote cutoff function of the EBF89 correctly. Im thinking about grounding the cathode and using the LDR as a regulator for negative voltage from a separate source. Secondly i would like to have the control over the threshold, attack and release. I would greatly apreciate any hints.

A note: i dont have a EBF89 spice model so for simulations i used a bit different connection (just different values of R1 and R4) and a EL84 (i know its not a good replacement) and the compressor worked.

Thank you for your answers.

Hide this!Advertise here!