8 Ohm 2X12 Guitar Speaker cabinet - 2X4 Ohms in series or 2X16 Ohms in parallel? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2013, 02:58 AM   #1
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 8 Ohm 2X12 Guitar Speaker cabinet - 2X4 Ohms in series or 2X16 Ohms in parallel?

Hi Gang!

Can't seem to find anything that says which would perform better or benefits vs cons, for either a 2X4 Ohm in series, or 2X16 Ohm in parallel, for an 8 Ohm 2X12 speaker cabinet for a guitar amp?

Should I assume it doesn't matter or might any of you have some experiences and guidance on this?

Thanks in advance!
Old 30th August 2013, 06:41 AM   #2
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP11520 View Post

Should I assume it doesn't matter or might any of you have some experiences and guidance on this?
it does matter
and maybe especially if you use tube amps

hifi 16ohm speaker are usually very rare, but standard for guitar and easy to find

I'm not suggesting to buy 16ohm, but only noting
Old 30th August 2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Two in series means if one opens or a wire comes off one,the whole string opens, and you amp is unterminated. Not a problem for solid state, but potential death for a tube amp.

Two speakers in parallel, if one opens, the other continues on.
Old 30th August 2013, 11:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Better two 16 ohms in parallel - it helps to maintain the damping factor of the amp - although continuing to work if one speaker went O/C is a useful by-product as well.

However, for valve amps damping factor isn't really a concern, they have really poor damping factors.
Old 30th August 2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Tesla88 is offline Tesla88  Italy
diyAudio Member

Is hard to find guitar speakers with 4 ohm coil , 8 and 16 ohm are easy to find , go for the 16 ohm !
Old 30th August 2013, 02:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you Gentlemen!

This all makes sense looking a little closer!

It turns out, there's a used pair of 16 Ohm 12" Eminence Wizards for sale at less than half price of new. Looks like I might have a converstaion about buying them now!

As far as Amps, I have several. From 5 watts (Tube) to 60 watts (SS). These speakers are rated at 75 watts so they'll handle just about any reasonable Guitar amp.

And I'm an old fart now so I'll never turn it that high on the 5 watter no less. LOL

Backstage passes to you all when I get to: "Rock Star".

Now to build a suitable 2X12 cabinet. Maybe an open/closed back convertible. If anyone has a link to well designed plans... Please do tell!

As always, Thank you all! This is the most supportive with quality information site on the Internet.
Old 30th August 2013, 02:54 PM   #7
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Wizard_16.pdf

Vas is low
might open alternative options

roughly I think the needed front baffle for 2x 12" matches the size of about +60liter
maybe experiment with different back plates

and please think about proper mounting of drivers
Old 30th August 2013, 10:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thank you tinitus!

I was wondering about what volume cabinet would allow these to breathe best! So i guess a few dabs of Crazy Glue wouldn't qualify as proper mounting? LOL Gorilla Glue is better!

I will look into the best performance options on how to mount these for sure! Something tells me, building a nice cabinet with quality plywood and so on, won't be cheap either!

I will prevail!

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Wizard_16.pdf

Vas is low
might open alternative options

roughly I think the needed front baffle for 2x 12" matches the size of about +60liter
maybe experiment with different back plates

and please think about proper mounting of drivers
Old 31st August 2013, 08:15 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP11520 View Post
I was wondering about what volume cabinet would allow these to breathe best!!
If it's for guitar use it really doesn't matter very much, with open-back (and small) cabinets perfectly fine for guitar.

If you want to build them for general PA use as well as guitar, then make then considerably larger (in order to get decent bass) and add a crossover and tweeter(s).
Old 31st August 2013, 08:41 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

How do the voice coils affect each other in series? Putting a large coil in series with the other speaker would reduce its HF response.

I don't suppose that a large guitar speaker will have too much HF response anyway.

Hide this!Advertise here!