Peavey Triumph 60 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2013, 02:45 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

OK. Just like mine.
If the diodes in the crunch/ultra channel haven't been removed/ jumpered then there will be distortion at any volume.
If the diodes are out of the equation then you can play with the gain from V1a, V2b, V2a.
A simple start point is in my first post, but their are lots of choices and you can tailor your own tone here, experimenting and learning as you go - carefully. That 500 plus supply scares me.
Old 6th July 2013, 03:35 AM   #12
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

If they are removed/jumpered it is moot, but the diodes CR1 and CR2 are not clipping diodes, they snip out a bit of signal right at zero crossing to reduce noise. They are only in the gain channel, not the clean channel, so they have no effect on clean. Later models like the JSX added a 1M pot in parallel with them so you could dial it from fully noise reduced to no diode action, or anywhere in between.

Did you note in the gain channel, the only difference between crunch and ultra is the value of the pre gain pot? So crunch simply works with a lower level of input signal.

If you like the clean channel, consider doing what many do, leave the amp on clean and use an overdrive pedal out front as the other channel.

If you want to mess with the gain channel, tube swaps or cap changes or more, remember that V2 is only used in the gain channel, both halves, and can be changed to good effect without bothering the clean channel. V1 is used as the input stage as so affects all channel, while the other half of V1 is only used in the gain channel. SO if you change out V1 trying to tame the amp, you may also change the clean channel.

I think lower gain tubes were mentioned in earlier posts, and considering V1, you could also consider some of the combinations tubes like the 12DW7/7247 or the ECC832 or ECC823. I never remember which side of which is the low gain, but those tubes are like half 12AX& and half 12AU7,
Old 6th July 2013, 06:25 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks Enzo,
I had read the diodes caused a type of crossover distortion. Your explanation makes a lot more sense to me than that.
Old 6th July 2013, 07:26 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

It does cause a little crossover distortion, but it only is on the distortion channel anyway, and it is a small amount, so it usually gets lost. To those that hear it and prefer it gone, the mod is simple, as you can see.

Imagine it was on the clean channel and you had a large since wave passing through. Now imagine that right on the zero volts line, you snipped out a thin strip. The diodes need about a half volt to turn on, so any signal less than half a volt is blocked. That includes most noise signal. But if we have something like 30v of signal, that half volt doesn't look like so much. So after we trim off that half volt at the base of the waveform, the rest continues on.
Old 6th July 2013, 10:20 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I get it now. Much appreciated.
Old 6th July 2013, 03:09 PM   #16
JMFahey is online now JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

That diode "noise gate" was added because, as you'll notice (also in you tube videos) that background hiss noise is unbearable, and those diodes reduce it .

Of course, that's the price you pay for all that gain.

This Guitar player thinks it's dirty pots, but it's plain old hiss.
Sound is killer, both clean and dirty:

Peavey Triumph 60 Mini Marshall - YouTube
Old 6th July 2013, 11:17 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Location: The heart of the South, in other words -Redneck Territory lol
JMFahey, I've watched that video you posted. That's what my amp sounds like. Though my amp is a head only. I took my Line6 SpiderJam and wired the speaker with a guitar cable and added a jack coming from the amp (Line6) to plug the speaker in. Now I just unplug and plug it into the Triumph, which has a Celestion 70/Eighty installed. It has a bitchin' sound! I can mimic Foreigner, Sammy Hargar and others to the T. For hard rockin' this is one bad *** amp, no doubt about that.
I have been experimenting with volume on my guitar. I can turn the volume back to about 3 and it kind of muffles the tone a bit and I get a rather nice Fender vintage kind of tone. This amp gets some very cool blues tones in this current configuration when I use the neck pickup.

I honestly think a master volume would be a major step in the right direction. I can adjust this thing to different settings on either of the drive channels and get something really cool but its rumbling the walls. At that point I can either drop the pre or the post knob but either way, it loses the tome that is so appealing at these settings. If I could keep the settings and just drop the over-all volume it would be awesome. I understand that dropping the volume would change the amount of air being moved by the speaker etc. but I think we would live with that part.

I tried one of those "Magic" volume boxes, I got from ebay a few years ago, that goes between the preamp out and the power amp in and it does accomplish what they say but just plugging it in is a detriment to the tone. Of course better quality parts may make a difference. I am sure these ebay sellers are using the bare minimum where quality in parts is concerned.

Is adding a master volume a reasonable upgrade on this amp? Or would that be a major pain in the butt?

Thanks!
Old 8th July 2013, 08:18 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Putting a volume box in the FX loop is the same thing as adding a MV.

Part of losing tone when you go from loud to soft is your ears. Look up "Fletcher-Munson curves". And your speaker is a mechanical thing, and it responds differently when it is being asked to go LOUD and when only playing quietly.

When you get some tone you really like when loud, it is really difficult to get it to come out at low levels.
Old 9th July 2013, 04:03 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Location: The heart of the South, in other words -Redneck Territory lol
Cool Enzo

Enzo

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if a MV was just a volume between the pre and power amp. Thanks for filling me in!

Lowering the volume doesn't produce a bad sound from this amp. There is something I have noticed about this one, it can be choked back severely with my guitar volume and while the sound gets muffled, or slurred, it really doesn't lose the fidelity. The sound takes on a familiar tone I hear in a lot of the music I listen too. Its really interesting what I have discovered about this amp this past weekend. I think I played it for about 15 or so hours and tried every setting I could to see what I could come up with. I have found that I can get some pretty bitchin' tones by really choking the volume on the guitar and trying different amounts of drive. I imagine this is old hat for many here but for me this is a whole new avenue learning to manipulate a tube amp. I never got this far when I had my Carvin tube amp, because I wasn't at the point of being cognizant of tone. In the last year I have learned a lot more and am finally beginning to understand what to look for and how to recognize it when I get there. So you were right, experiment and you just might find that you love the amp. For the time being, I can't say I love it yet but it sure has my attention. Its amazing hearing how well this amp articulates the notes and how easy it is to bloom a note by changing the way I strike the string etc. I was beginning to find this with my Fender amp (on a much smaller scale) but this amp makes it so easy, it almost does it for me. I honestly can't see myself ever going back to a solid state amp. But that is a different post...
Old 13th July 2013, 04:24 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I have one of these, but haven't played it in a while. If I recall correctly, without the foot pedal connected it usually is in distortion mode (or "Ultra"). You can jumper the foot pedal jack to put it in clean mode with a bent paper clip if you don't have the pedal. I did some mods on mine a long time ago, and do remember this amp is not the easiest to work on - it has several circuit boards all kind of crammed into the chassis. If you don't have the foot pedal I'd strongly suggest you track one down if you plan to use the amp much.

Hide this!Advertise here!