Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Hi fellas, just me trying to DIY a Dallas Rangemaster.

Fuzz Central -- Dallas Rangemaster

I've got the OC71, the problem is the box is too small and I was thinking about a separate power supply. Now, I don't know if this is a good idea or not. A regulated 9 VDC? I s this going to make it noisier and, perhaps, not as good sounding? I have very little experience with stompboxes. What do you recommend? Any schematic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1513.jpg (176.0 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by Cassiel; 15th June 2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: I had my reasons to change the title but...not possible it seems.
Old 5th June 2013, 02:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've built tons of Rangemasters. They can sound good from regulated supply and it won't have any additional noise if there is enough filtering.
If you plan on using the external supply with that pedal only, it is OK with stick with the usual "positive ground" arrangement of the circuit. But, if you want to share the power supply with other pedals on a daisy chain, you will need to flip the circuit "upside-down" and wire it for negative ground, or else you will have trouble.
It is such a simple circuit, there are many opportunities for mods and variations to tailor it to your needs. I personally like adding a rotary switch to the input with a selection of different input caps, to give different tones. I usually start with a low value of around 2,2nF and progressively increase in size until about 47-100nF. At the higher values, it becomes a full-range boost with a fat dirty sound.
Old 5th June 2013, 03:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm drawing up a schematic real quick, so you can see what I'm talking about more easily.
Old 5th June 2013, 03:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hey thanks. Right now I'm reading this tutorial:

Powering Pedals
Old 5th June 2013, 03:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Here you go. This will work perfectly with both batteries and standard 9v supplies for pedals.
D1, R1, C1, and C5 work to decouple and filter the power line so that there should be no noise trouble and no problems with bad interaction with other pedals if used on a daisy chain.
It's good to include the trimmer for adjusting the bias, because it can vary from transistor to transistor and there is no one perfect value that will always work with all of them.

You will sometimes see people put these bias trimmers in other parts of the circuit. It is best to put it where it is here, in the place of the emitter resistor. This ensures that it will have a minimal effect on the frequency response as it is adjusted. Some people put the trimmer as part of the bias divider to the Base, but when you do that, the input impedance changes as the bias is adjusted, and this changes the tone because it changes the cutoff frequency of the high pass filter that is formed with the input cap. So... we put the trimmer on the Emitter, and we get a much more consistent circuit.

Another way to potentially power this circuit is to use a voltage inverter chip, like the TC1044, to derive a negative voltage from the positive supply. I've done this a few times and it works well, but it's an unnecessary complication for a circuit this simple, and can be a potential source of noise.
Attached Images
File Type: png DeluxeRM1.png (15.0 KB, 187 views)
Old 5th June 2013, 03:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok, I'm going to build the LM317 power supply and see how it goes.

https://www.smallbearelec.com/Projec...art/SmWart.htm

As for the schematic, I like what you suggest because I really don't want a harsh, bright sound. The fat dirty sound is more to my liking.
Old 5th June 2013, 03:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

We posted at the same time. Well, thank you very much for the schematic. It should take me a day or two to finish it. I'll post my impressions.
Old 5th June 2013, 03:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

That supply should work well for it.
Rangemasters generally aren't that harsh sounding. Though they are naturally rather bright, it is a treble booster, they have a low input impedance that causes the some rolloff of the highs from the guitar's pickup. That's why it is important not to use a buffer in front of it. With the buffer, you won't get that natural high frequency rolloff and it will probably sound too harsh.
Old 5th June 2013, 03:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

But if you use a large value input cap, like 47nF, it will be much fatter. That's why it's nice to have several on a switch for different tones.
Old 7th June 2013, 06:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I'm going with the 47nF cap. No selector. Wiring it for negative ground makes it so much easier. I wonder why nobody seems to build it this way.

I have all the parts now. I hate to work with this small box, even the guitar jacks are too big.

Hide this!Advertise here!