**** me, I bought the wrong box. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2013, 01:23 AM   #21
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Looks great. Mine not so great.
Old 11th June 2013, 07:48 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
I have decided to use an external battery pack. I think it gives me more freedom and I don't have to worry about hum issues. My dilemma is the following: six Ni-Cad 1.2V batteries (2400 mAh) in series gives me 8 volts, I know it should be less but that's what I'm reading. It goes to more than 11 volts with eight batteries in series. I'd prefer six as the battery pack would be lighter. What would you do, iaxxaxxai? Is this circuit very sensitive to over/undervoltage?

* Seven would be ideal, I know, but due to the way I'm doing it, it's got to be six or 8.
This circuit uses about 0.5mA, a 6LR61 alkaline 9v battery will last around
800 hours.
Regards
Mike.
Old 11th June 2013, 02:47 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default I'm no Japanese. Big Foot more likely.

I measured the box, next I measured my right foot, next I thought: something's wrong here. My foot can't be three times the size of a stompbox. Ridiculous. So no stompbox.

And no bypass switch, yeah, **** the switch. There isn't much space for a switch anyways. The box is less than an inch tall. Next I will post a photo of her insides.

Mclaren2 - There's a LED so it would be less. Anyway now I want to put the battery at the back - like an astronaut. BTW, forza Ferrari.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN.jpg (97.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1535DSCN1532.jpg (98.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1537.jpg (341.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 11th June 2013, 07:40 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Well, project completed. It's been a nightmare. Never, never again. It takes me less time to build a tube amp. Thanks to iaxxaxxai for the help.

I'm going to try out a variety of germanium transistors so I will report back to tell you which one sounds the best. It will take me some time thought. Maybe even some sound clips. Just maybe..... I don't enjoy recording.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1549.jpg (120.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 11th June 2013, 11:24 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hey, been playing for a while now. Man, I've got to say this thing sounds great. I wasn't expecting much because a long time ago I built something similar and it was just OK. Only there's some scratch noise when I turn the volume up and down. It doesn't really bother me though. I just turn the volume to max. and use the guitar pot. It's not a fat sound, just aggressive. It bites. Recommended.

*Haha, I struck gold. No swapping, this OC71 stays. My eardrums are ringing now though.

Last edited by Cassiel; 11th June 2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12th June 2013, 01:40 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default No foolin'

Sorry if you get shocked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1554.jpg (122.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 17th June 2013, 09:48 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

How does it compare to the sound of a modern FET booster (not just silicon transistor)?
Old 17th June 2013, 01:44 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I have no idea. My Telecaster neck pickup sounds like a SUPER hot bridge pickup with this transistor on so I think it would be a good idea to install it inside the guitar. Very cool sounding booster. I want this sound always on. Haha.

Another thing. I have a 50 watt SS amp - a Hugues & Kettner. Tonally this amp is miles away from my tube amps but when I want to play clean that's the amp for me. Its dirty channel sucks and I never use it. Well, with this thing on I get a very cool, dirty sound from the clean channel. Like it very much.

I also have some OC75's and now I'm thinking of building a Tone Bender with them.
Old 20th June 2013, 09:58 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Happy it's working out! Glad I could help. The scratching sound is normal with the volume control. It's because of how it's wired in the circuit. The DC current flowing through it causes it to be scratchy. You can replace it with a 10K fixed resistor and then connect the output cap directly to the junction of the 10K and the transistor's Collector. And then stick a normal style volume control after that, but it never seems to sound the same as how its done in the original circuit. If you don't mind the scratching, I'd keep it as is.
OC71s usually sound great in this. Did you use the larger value input cap?
Old 21st June 2013, 12:59 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I'm going to keep it as it is because I don't want to change a thing. I don't even want to change the battery, haha. This thing keeps sounding great - day after day. The sound is complex, it really depends on how you play. It can be very bright and it can sound darkly and sparkly too.

The value of the input cap is 47nF. The voltage at the base is 4.6 volts.

Hide this!Advertise here!