Tube ID needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2013, 08:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tube ID needed

Hello !

School year is over, I've just moved back into my parents house for a while and I've been going through some leftover projects trying to get the "electronics" side of my brain back in function.

I am currently putting back together an old Paul (by Pine / Pepco) guitar amp and the single output tube it contains has no markings on it. I was wondering if someone could tell me more about it as I know very little about tubes in gerenal.

Thanks !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mysterytube.JPG (496.0 KB, 185 views)
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

We are gonna need a little more to go on than that I am afraid...

Some better detailed pictures of plate structure ect.

Although my guess would be 6V6GT.
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for replying, I'll be back in a while with a picture of the socket I pulled the tube from.
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here's a picture of the socket the tube was sitting in. Pins one and six are not connected as there are no pins one and six on the tube itself (previous picture didn't really show that).

By the way, is the capacitor across pins three and eight 47nF ? Not sure I am reading it right.

Hope this helps

EDIT : The big black wire connected to pin # three goes to the output transformer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outputsocketj.JPG (304.3 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by FrancoisMachine; 23rd May 2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The pin-out connections strongly suggest a 6V6 or similar type. However, a quick search on line picks up a thread about a Paul amplifier possibly having a series filament string. So, do you have a power transformer in this amp? If so, it's probably a 6 volt tube. If not, be careful as it could be a series string with higher voltage filaments and dangerous.
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." ~Stephen Hawking
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you !

The amplifier does have a power transformer. Here are some rough pics of what it looks like.

The potentiometer I am holding between my fingers in the first picture is the tone knob. I had previously replaced the original one thinking it was shorting the signal into the tone circuit, creating a permanent low pass filter (the amp has NO treble whatsoever).

I haven't traced the whole thing yet but I read online that some of these amps use the tone control more like a mixer between the bass and treble channels instead of a standard HF rolloff. I'll have to look into that.

p.s.: Sorry if my writing isn't always correct, I am having a hard time translating all of this in english.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paul_in.JPG (606.0 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg paul_out.JPG (595.9 KB, 133 views)
Old 27th May 2013, 05:19 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

What's the rest of the tube complement? I'm with Hollow State in guessing a 6V6 but it could be a number of other possibilities as well. Knowing what the other tubes are...particularly the rectifier will narrow it down...
Old 27th May 2013, 05:34 AM   #8
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Left tube 6/12AV6 or AT6 single triode twin diode, middle tube twin triode, Tube in question is an output tube for sure.

Rectification is SS bridge (round black four wire).

Look closley at the internal sturcture of the tube with a magnafying glass and see if you can determine what the connections to the base pins are.
Old 27th May 2013, 05:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
[...] Look closley at the internal sturcture of the tube with a magnafying glass and see if you can determine what the connections to the base pins are.
Thank you for replying !

I am going to take a look at it and report back later. On the other hand, the two smaller tubes are 6AV6 and 12AX7.

I started reading the NEETS Module 6 book last week and I am having a great time learning about this stuff. I didn't learn about tubes in school so I'm catching up !

Old 28th May 2013, 02:15 AM   #10
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Guys since this is a guitar amplifier thread I am going to move this to the proper forum which is Instruments & Amplifiers.

Hide this!Advertise here!