HI-FI amplifier for bass guitar - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2013, 01:31 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispenycate View Post
I wouldn't; but I would make sure that if someone ran it too loud, too long it might distort, bring in thermal cutouts, go into current limit even blow a fuse, but not do itself any irreparable damage.
Again, you're talking about added expensive for little reason or advantage, and quite probably lowering the audio quality (top quality audio specifically has NO protection for that very reason).

Quote:

I hate "peak watts" and "RMS Watts" on transistor gear. You don't even need to worry about power bandwidth on most modern devices.
What's wrong with RMS watts?, it's the standard method, easy to test, and easily understood. Peak is a ludicrous idea though, as are the far worse types used ('400W' PC amp fed from a 12V 1A wallwart for example, or almost all car amps).
Old 19th May 2013, 03:51 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

I drew the printed preamplifier for bass guitar Albert Kreuzer I will fulfill my system because I do not put across his.
Now I think the amplifier!
Attached Images
File Type: png Kreuzer-bass-Preamp.png (96.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 19th May 2013, 04:11 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project16 View Post
I drew the printed preamplifier for bass guitar Albert Kreuzer I will fulfill my system because I do not put across his.
Now I think the amplifier!
Please post some sound clips of that preamp once it is done. I am just finishing up my most recent bass preamp build and am always keen to hear other designs.
Old 19th May 2013, 05:03 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passinwind View Post
Please post some sound clips of that preamp once it is done. I am just finishing up my most recent bass preamp build and am always keen to hear other designs.
Ok, no problem!
I'm also slightly modify the printed to put in place of J201 BF245 circuit.
In the meantime here are some sound examples of my sound bank (MAO) of my Rickenbacker!

http://www.fruityclub.net/medias/3/9..._Fingered1.mp3
http://www.fruityclub.net/medias/3/9..._Fingered2.mp3
http://www.fruityclub.net/medias/3/9...01_Picked1.mp3
http://www.fruityclub.net/medias/3/9...01_Picked2.mp3
http://www.fruityclub.net/medias/3/9.../4001_Slap.mp3

Regards!
Old 19th May 2013, 07:31 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Nice, both the playing and sound quality.

You can follow the website link in my profile to see and hear a few of my different preamp builds, or visit my Soundcloud site here for some more clips of my DIY gear.
Old 20th May 2013, 09:04 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

There are a lot of high power hi-fi FET output amp circuits that really don't perform that well in deep clipping. Especially look out for very high gain front ends that can put all the way up to protection clamp voltage on the output FETs after saturation. The VAS has to discharge that voltage to return the output to linear operation and that's where ringing and ugly notches in the signal can happen. It's not a huge issue when hi-fi listening may try to stay at -3dB max anyway.

For bass guitar you are unlikely to purposefully drive the power amp to clipping, but it shouldn't make seriously foul noises or self destruct if it happens. Checking out your circuit in spice is helpful.

In the end it's probably better to use "simple" input and driver circuits because they tend to overdrive the output stage less, recovering from clipping better without clamps everywhere, and you really don't need less than .01% harmonic distortion anyway, so long and the high odd harmonics aren't prevalent. You can also play tricks like making sure the output stage supply voltage is always high enough to keep the power transistors from saturating before the driver stage runs out of voltage drive. This sacrifices some available power but it works.

Last edited by Andrew Eckhardt; 20th May 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 21st May 2013, 02:21 AM   #27
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Amen brother.
I have been successfully building and selling SS Bass amps for over 40 years now, always very simple "by the book" Lin type amplifiers.
Nobody ever complained about not meeting Hi Fi specs, quite the contrary, they are considered by musicians as being extraordinarily clean.

I had to introduce mild "curve bending" circuits between preamp and power amp to get a few % of mainly even order harmonics and further distort by using undercompensated FET limiters.
Old 21st May 2013, 03:53 AM   #28
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Eckhardt View Post
In the end it's probably better to use "simple" input and driver circuits because they tend to overdrive the output stage less, recovering from clipping better without clamps everywhere, and you really don't need less than .01% harmonic distortion anyway, so long and the high odd harmonics aren't prevalent. You can also play tricks like making sure the output stage supply voltage is always high enough to keep the power transistors from saturating before the driver stage runs out of voltage drive. This sacrifices some available power but it works.
Old 21st May 2013, 05:15 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

So far the best circuit I have for bass guitar looks like the VSSA except it has a triple EF with ten pairs of bipolars on the output. (it drives 2.66 ohms) There are current sources at the input transistor emitters for bias, to allow direct coupling, but those are loaded by 20 ohms to ground. No part of the circuit flies off into space when the output clips, and no diode clamps are required anywhere. Before arriving at this circuit I tried to go all "hi fi", even got discouraged and thought I might use an old Hafler driver board just to get it up and running, until sim'ing it and not liking any part of the performance I saw. Still looking for an easy way out, I then simmed a recent Ampeg and I think it was a Carvin design, still not being impressed. The beefed VSSA type circuit has smoothly rounded entry and exit from clipping and gets a simmed .0007% distortion at half power, with regulated 60 volt VAS supply and 70 volt (unloaded) rectifier EF supply. I messed around with resistor values quite a bit to minimize distortion but it began to seem a little silly since I'll never play without an overdrive circuit ahead of the amp.
Old 8th June 2013, 11:15 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone!

Thank you for all the answers but I'm at same point!
In searching the net I found this schematic that seems interesting to me but before I get into the design of the print card , I'd like to have some opinions.

Bass guitar super bridge amplifier 200 watt. | Eleccircuit.com

Regards!

Hide this!Advertise here!