HI-FI amplifier for bass guitar - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2013, 04:40 PM   #11
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Not disagreeing but to put things in perspective:

1) that one is a fine and quite popular Bass preamp, used by many , either self built or supplied in Pedal form by the late Albert Kreuzer.

2) Albert was a Symphonic/Jazz double Bass player,
Click the image to open in full size.
so in that context disabling tone controls and going absolutely "flat" is an option

3) but he also played electric Bass ... not a plain vanilla 4 string of course:
where tone controls are used.

4) he also offered a very well made full amplifier , including his preamp:

so, in a nutshell, build that preamp, it's very good
Old 14th May 2013, 08:10 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I have read all your answers and I still have more questions!

Preamplifier for my choice is made and it will be that of Albert Kreuzer
Meanwhile I found two patterns that may be suitable amplifier, this is not the mosfet here but should.

http://www.velleman.eu/downloads/0/i...k8060_rev1.pdf

100W Guitar Amplifier (Mk II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
by the late Albert Kreuzer.
I do not know, and luckily I do not have the nose because I failed to send an email to the question about his amplifier.

Thank you all!
Old 16th May 2013, 01:38 PM   #13
JayGunn is offline JayGunn  United States
diyAudio Member

I followed your Velleman link. In the assembly instructions it calls for "raisin core solder." I think the only company still making that specialty item is Sunkist...
Old 16th May 2013, 05:39 PM   #14
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"raisin core solder." I think the only company still making that specialty item is Sunkist...

Quite close, at least Velleman is Belgian or Dutch.

If you want some real weird ones, just read some Chinglish brochures or manuals
Old 17th May 2013, 12:17 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
Quite close, at least Velleman is Belgian or Dutch.
Dutch I believe

Don't ever call a Dutchman a Belgian!!
Old 17th May 2013, 12:30 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispenycate View Post
If their power supplies sag, or their heat sinks are underrated so they catch fire when you're listening to the 1812 while the neighbour passes the vacuum cleaner they're badly designed.
You can't design and build HiFi amps just on the off chance that someone might one to use it for bass guitar.

Engineering HiFi amps to that level would greatly increase their price, and mean no one would buy them - and there's no need for it.

Incidentally, I used to have a Leak Stereo 70 (classic old HiFi amp - used 2x2N3055's per channel) - I used it many times for doing disco's, and it was used for guitar a couple of times.

I also knew a couple of guys who used them full time as guitar amps, and a resident disco that used four or five of them as the complete PA (at a place called Stoke Hall - picture attached - nice!).

You'd struggle as a bass amp though, bass is hard on an amp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stokehall-exterior.jpg (26.7 KB, 106 views)
Old 17th May 2013, 01:24 PM   #17
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

This may be off topic, but I play through a Markbass LittleMark II and its a class D... This amp slams. Have you married yourself to using FETs?

There is a lot of debate on this and that regarding class D, but for bass guitar, its beautiful and the head is small. I use it with a 1x15" cab or a 6x10" and never need to turn past 12 o'clock... I compete with a dimed Marshal JCM900/1960a and a drummer who hits like Bonham on one of Bill Brufords old kits - loud as hell... Headroom is key in a bass rig IMO.
Old 17th May 2013, 09:20 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Goodwin View Post
You can't design and build HiFi amps just on the off chance that someone might one to use it for bass guitar.

Engineering HiFi amps to that level would greatly increase their price, and mean no one would buy them - and there's no need for it.

Incidentally, I used to have a Leak Stereo 70 (classic old HiFi amp - used 2x2N3055's per channel) - I used it many times for doing disco's, and it was used for guitar a couple of times.

I also knew a couple of guys who used them full time as guitar amps, and a resident disco that used four or five of them as the complete PA (at a place called Stoke Hall - picture attached - nice!).

You'd struggle as a bass amp though, bass is hard on an amp.
I wouldn't; but I would make sure that if someone ran it too loud, too long it might distort, bring in thermal cutouts, go into current limit even blow a fuse, but not do itself any irreparable damage. I hate "peak watts" and "RMS Watts" on transistor gear. You don't even need to worry about power bandwidth on most modern devices.

I used to run a pair of Leak TL12s (valve HiFi amp. more or less a Mullard 5-10) as HF amps in a triamped system; back then they sounded better than anything I could find with transistors, and they really did have peak watts with output transformers.

But I've seen Quads and Pioneer HiFi amps running as studio monitor amps, and there they get as hard hit as instrument amps.

The only reason bass is difficult is that it needs a lot of absolute power relative to, say, a guitar amp. Low frequencies aren't that difficult to amplify, and transistor amps can (though maybe shouldn't) go down to DC. If something tells me it is capable of producing 400 Watts stereo into 4ohms, I don't expect its power supply to drop 15% after 10mS. That's Low Fi.
Old 18th May 2013, 09:25 AM   #19
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I guess you would want amp output terminated/filtered with both zobel and inductor
Old 18th May 2013, 10:38 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

WRT using HiFi amps for bass, John Patitucci used Mark Levinson amps with his Bag End cabs, right?
Not rock and roll, so it's likely the amps weren's pushed hard, but still.

I used hifi amps for the first couple of years I played bassguitar, and still do at home.

Hide this!Advertise here!