6v6 fixed bias - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2013, 06:29 PM   #11
Banned

Yes I was boosting ALOT but I can't tell you what pedal it was xD
Old 21st March 2013, 06:47 PM   #12
Struth is offline Struth  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys

The Stealth amp controversial? How? Are you refering to the B-52 designed by Egnater?

The various modular amps you see all have Egnater's DNA, using modules of RC networks and panel controls to tell the couple of preamptubes how to work. The 12ch amp or whatnot has slots for all the "preamp" modules, and these can be plugged in live as they do not carry DC. The whole amp has three 12AX7s and a pair of octal tubes, so two tubes for preamp functions. You can use any one sound but cannot mix them, nor use the channels separately because they are not true channels.

JR, much of your tone excitement is the result of using tubes of lower mu. These always sound mellower than high-mu tubes. Fortunately, any socket wired for a 12A_7 can take any of that family. The results can be surprising and very pleasing.

As far as what preamp and EQ to use for a clean sound, the old standard is the Fender two-stage with EQ and volume in between. If you drop the voltage for this circuit even high-mu tubes can be mellowed out.

As an aside, it would be helpful if you broke your text into smaller portions - possibly paragraphs, but even arbitrary breaks every few lines would make it much easier to read. I ignore cyclecamper because his posts are a mile long and all one block of text. Were they split into manageable text block sizes it might be worht reading.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor
Old 21st March 2013, 06:56 PM   #13
Banned

no its a Crate stealth 50 6v6 etc early 90s Lee Jackson amp he designed for crate xD
Old 21st March 2013, 07:00 PM   #14
Banned

Yeah a lot of it was the lower Mu GEs but my god they sound so much warmer/dynamic/Musical to me.
Old 21st March 2013, 07:08 PM   #15
Banned

I keep tube rolling constantly lol, I'm really loving this RCA black-plate 12AU7 square getter, it has the most amazing dynamic sweet highs, unfortunately just lowers the noise floor more than I would like.
Old 21st March 2013, 08:12 PM   #16
Struth is offline Struth  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys

I don't see how a lowered noise floor would be unwanted.

If the issue is that the tube reveals the noise limitations of your amp, then you probably need to rewire the amp per the guidelines in TUT3 (The Ultimate Tone vol.3, see our online catalog). There is no reason for a tube amp to be noisy, and they can certainly be made much quieter simply using good grounding and layout practise.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor
Old 21st March 2013, 09:46 PM   #17
Banned

I'm sorry not noise floor, I meant like just lower volume/gain/boost etc, I'm not sure lol just something is lower lol
Old 21st March 2013, 09:50 PM   #18
Banned

Blackburn Mullards - YouTube

You MUST own a SET of these xD the GEs are nice and all but do not have the wicked hairy harmonics from hell like a Blackburn mullard xD
Old 22nd March 2013, 01:00 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struth View Post
all paths lead you to your tone - some have more hills than others.
Well said that man.
Old 22nd March 2013, 01:06 AM   #20
Banned

That is a very true Statement. Hard to think or come up with an original tone these days though lol

Hide this!Advertise here!