Favorite Coupling caps in Preamp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Banned

Default Favorite Coupling caps in Preamp?

Just curious what you guys like? Orange drops, Mallory 150s?, Sozo, Mojo?, real Mustards? just give me some ideas here?

and seen mouser has these CDE/mallory 160s are these like a PCB version of the axial mallory 150s kinda looks like it I don't know though? lol
Old 9th March 2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Banned

Recapping my amp and it had them WIMA polys in it now they are not too bad has a distinct German flavor no doubt that almost Engl like grind lot Engl has the WIMAs in them I know, But I think I wanna go more toward that Mallory/Sozo mustard sound if possible lol
Old 9th March 2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Banned

Some of you guys might rail me for saying this but I hear yet again HUGE differences in couplings
Old 9th March 2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Banned

they all are very different, materials, speed/compression/distortion etc I mean damn lol yeah thats gonna have an impact on the tone
Old 9th March 2013, 09:05 AM   #5
Banned

Like for example you should be able to tell the difference pretty easily between an old fender blue and a mustard etc and comparing those to the Sozo/mallory/mojo etc, I mean its a strikingly audible difference to me, them damn Wima really impact and color sound too, those are more love/hate they just don't have the clarity I like, Orange drops are too bright very clear though, I just prefer mustard style, and the mallory150s Sozo/mojo all those sound kickass to me, that's just me though,
Old 9th March 2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Banned

Sprague etc/ Atoms etc lol I can go on forever here lol
Old 9th March 2013, 10:13 AM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Choosing a value that can pass the Signal frequency range is more important than anything else.
Choosing a type that suits the duty comes second.
Choosing a manufacturer has little to give beyond getting the first two correct.
Old 9th March 2013, 10:58 AM   #8
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Don't forget that guitar amps are instruments, not reproducers. The distortion introduced by polyester caps (such as mustards) is welcomed here. It is conceivable that different makers use slightly different polyesters, and certainly different voltage specs will mean different thickness film so different amounts of non-linearity even witith the same substance.
Old 9th March 2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Banned

the polys all sound different to me though it is more gritty and harsh the Wimas are really like that, compared to a more laid back Mallory or something. at least 150s I always liked really does remind me more of Marshallish-esque tone lol,
Old 9th March 2013, 11:19 AM   #10
Banned

But lots people don't believe couplings make any difference at all....not sure what they are smoking lol

Hide this!Advertise here!