I have no idea where to even start - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2013, 06:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Izzytoots
Question I have no idea where to even start

I am brand new to this homebrew audio deal, and i need somewhere to get started. This is why i joined this forum, in hopes of finding advice from people that know a lot more than me. I have very limited experience when it comes to circuitry and how all this sound stuff actually works, aside from my limited acoustics knowledge from a highschool physics course. I am looking to build a simple 2 driver speaker just to get me started, but even with something that simple, i have no idea where to start. I don't even know what questions to ask. I have been attempting to get information off of various internet articles, but they have either been far to vague or way to complex.
Old 6th March 2013, 07:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

1. Budget?
2. What is your listening space?
3. What are your listening habits, music genres, loudness levels etc?
4. Any woodworking skills?
5. Amplifier type, SS or tube?

Just the tip of the iceberg.

jeff
Old 6th March 2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Nikitas is offline Nikitas  Greece
diyAudio Member

start with a good book like designing audio amplifiers from bob cordell. Don't worry about the money, it will pay you off. Plus you are going to spend bags of money in this hobby
Old 6th March 2013, 07:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

1. Since this is mainly to get me started, my budget is in the $100-300 range
2. Well, it will probably be used in my unfinished basement. Insulated walls with an 8 foot ceiling and open floor plan. Its not exactly the best acoustic enviroment, but it is where i keep all of my musical instruments and my jam space.
3. My musical preferences are quite varied when it comes to listening. I am primarily a jazz/fusion/funk musician, but i love listening to progressive metal and classic rock. I really dislike country and some of the less tasteful rap/hip-hop. I prefer my speakers and headphones to have a pretty
4. I have some woodworking experience, but that is not really one of my concerns, as i have plenty of people to go to when i need help with that.
5. I honestly don't know which one i would go for. I really love the way tube amps sound, but i don't know if the price for DIY tube amps are above what i can afford.
Old 6th March 2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

You want to build a pair of speakers? Look into a kit. Places like Parts Express sell all the parts, including even the wooden enclosures. You can buy complete kits from them or just some of the parts, whatever. They are certainly not the only source, but they have a wide selection of speaker stuff.

There are many books and I am sure online tutorials about "speakerbuilding" or "loudspeaker design". I am all in favor of learning as much as possible about the theory behind anything, but you can also get your soldering iron wet (so to speak) on a project without going into the theory, and still have some pride in the accomplishment.

There are substantive differences between $50 and $500 speakers, but the principles are the same, and you can enjoy listening to your inexpensive basic speakers, and when it is time to move up the the next level, you will at least have the experience to know better what to look for.
Old 6th March 2013, 07:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You have to pick 2 drivers, build a box and a crossover (something to split the signal between the drivers).

The box is frequently compartmented to isolate the drivers.

You could do worse than look at this webpage:- My New Speaker Box Project - Part 1

It details the construction of 3-driver tri-amped speakers, but it shows considerable detail of the mechanical arrangements with pictures. There is no passive crossover, but you can find details of crossover construction here:- Introduction to designing crossovers without measurement

Most of speaker building is woodwork, so if you think you can cope with what you see there, that will be some encouragement.

Rod's site is huge, and there is a lot of stuff there that you can read to provide background knowledge of all aspects of basic (and quite advanced) audio electronics.

It's customary to recommend the books on speaker design by Vance Dickason:- Loudspeaker Design Cookbook 7th Edition Book 500-035

It will help with choice of drivers to suit your room, crossover design, in fact everything associated with speaker design.

One other thing you might like to look at is WinISD:- LinearTeam ...which is a computer program to automate the design of speaker boxes.
Old 6th March 2013, 07:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Also, now that i think about it, i think i want to build a bass amp that can support a 5 string bass. Is that beyond me as a starting project?
Old 6th March 2013, 07:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzytoots View Post
Also, now that i think about it, i think i want to build a bass amp that can support a 5 string bass. Is that beyond me as a starting project?
Build? No, it shouldn't be beyond you, you can buy a kit.
Old 6th March 2013, 08:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzytoots View Post
Also, now that i think about it, i think i want to build a bass amp that can support a 5 string bass.
That would be a great idea, seeing as you are a musician. What's involved in supporting a 5-string bass, more power, 2-speaker cab.? Sounds a lot more involved vs building a couple of 2-way speakers for your hifi, but ultimately more interesting for you?

jeff
Old 6th March 2013, 09:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Greetings Izzytoot,

Here's where I started, not too long ago, just like you. I'm now on my second built thanks to the help of some very generous people...it's been a gas.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/110583-fast-fun-inexpensive-ob-project.html

It takes very little to assemble a pair of these. It may even be simpler then many kits. If you go this route, for that matter with any speaker, be sure to understand the speaker/room relationship. You'll find all that info in the thread. If you miss on that, especially with an open baffle design, it won't impress. The upside is they are so easy to build and you may be amazed at the cost/benefit relationship. It's a big thread but you'll learn allot!

Good luck at whatever path you choose

Kindest,
Marko

Hide this!Advertise here!