Crate GX1600 blowing fuses (and general SS help) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2013, 06:52 AM   #11
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the paper schematics, and they are 11x17, way larger than my scanner, and I donlt want to post it in sections. SO contact Loud Technologies - the owner of Crate - and ask for the schematics for this. Make sure to get the model number correct, and include your serial number. They will ask for you not to post it on the internet. But at least you will have it so we can all refer to part numbers.

The G1600XL is the same schematic as the G160XL, that might help them find it. In fact, the preamp schematic set itself is labelled "G-XXX". Power amp drawing is 16-048-01 160 watt power amp.

Your resistor didn't short and before it burnt was probably not defective. resistors are passive, and only burn up when something else causes excess current to flow through them.

I am not sure which resistor you mean. At the end of the board opposite the fuse is a pair of power resistors. near them I do see four resistors, three are more or less to the side of them, and one off the end. Of the three, I see a 1000 ohm and a 22k (not 2200) and the one closest to the corner of the neat sink is 22 ohms, it is R21. It is in series from your main V- rail serving V- to the left half of the power amp schematic. If that burnt, I have to think you have more bad small transistors. One is the single round transistor probably has its own small heat sink fins not far from your burnt resistor. Also on your heat sink are the four large transistors, and in the center two mid-size ones, and over towards teh fire is one more smaller one. That smaller one is the bnias transistor. See if it has failed and check the bias adjust pot trimmer nearby.
Old 6th March 2013, 07:58 AM   #12
gauze is offline gauze  United States
diyAudio Member

ok I'll do more testing after I sober up. the 22ohm nearest the heatsink sounds right though I dunno if I have one in my boxes of parts though double ugh. I'll test all the parts on that end of the board and get back to this

Hide this!Advertise here!