Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2013, 07:50 PM   #21
Banned

its not so much gain differences alittle, its the individual character each manufacture has, that is way more noticeable imo. some focus on different areas of the frequency spectrum, and that transition from clean to onset of breakup and overdrive/distortion. some are darker, others are really bright, some are more hi-fi/clarity oriented, and swapiing between them its also really noticeable different harmonic content, like long plates tend to be more hi-fi I think also more prone to noise but they have and interesting clarity/harmonics, short plates to me sound a bit tighter and maybe more focused bigger bass. this is a wild generalization though, Rca short grey plates, Sylvania long plates, GE 5star 5751s, all really nice, the GE is interesting though its lower gain but I think it sounds creamier than a lot of them.
Old 27th February 2013, 07:56 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

o.k.. understand...i using 3 NOS telefunken and i don't see very much different...and they say to me , the amp have low gain ..thats the design..so i think something today and i want to say to you....so check : i have 2 channels ( tremolo channel and 1st gain stage) also the 2 channels have 2 inputs each ( hi and low)....thats my thought------i take a "boost pedal" or " overdrive pedal" ( i think the behriger s cheap ) and i put over the 1st gain hi input....from the inside of amp....is right????????????????
Old 27th February 2013, 08:16 PM   #23
Banned

Real Nos Telefunken are pretty bright but very clear and really almost too Hi-fi, but really great harmonics, then RCA is warmer, then Mullard is warmer than RCA just from experience xD
Old 28th February 2013, 02:50 AM   #24
shanx is offline shanx  Canada
diyAudio Member

A booster or overdrive is an option if you like the configuration of your amp the way it is. If you want to get creative with some switching and some wiring mods:
You have 2 preamp channels. Think about running the signal through tremolo channel and 1st gain stage. Defeat the trem, maybe lift the cathode bypass cap on one of final stage (to bring down the gain a bit) and you should have more than enough boost to overdrive the amp. We don't have a schematic of your build and don't know the plate supply volts etc..but I think you already have enough 12AX7 preamp stages to do it.
Old 28th February 2013, 05:51 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

ie know what I mean; will add on the channel a simple Overdrive pedal
to be activated by a switch...EXACTLY LIKE WE DO THAN amplifier .. there will be indirect. will be directly.........We may create problems in amplifier;
Old 1st March 2013, 02:09 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Be careful with tube rolling and comments on the different makes of what is ostensibly the same tube type. A good part of the sound difference is in peoples head. And almost all of the qualities attached to any perceived sound difference is in people's head.
Old 1st March 2013, 08:55 PM   #27
Banned

No, you just can't hear the audible difference's like I can, sigh.... I feel bad for people that can't, wish you all could hear through my ears,
Old 2nd March 2013, 06:19 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

o.k. o.k.................i ask you something else....the EF86 have more gain than 12AX7?..............
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:46 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plig88 View Post
o.k. o.k.................i ask you something else....the EF86 have more gain than 12AX7?..............
The short answer is yes, small signal pentodes such as the EF86 tend to have higher gain than even high-mu triodes such as the 12ax7, but as others have mentioned, a LOT depends on how the actual circuit is set up.
Old 2nd March 2013, 09:14 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

i change the circuit on my amp and i will add the EF86 mod.....i need more gain

Hide this!Advertise here!