high gain vacuum tubes - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Banned

Its not about gain, yes some current production can be gainy as hell, so can Nos but Nos actually has a lively character though lol., you been smoking crack though lol, lots sovteks are medium gain for most part, lots of Nos really test out high and sound like it too, RFT and Ei ecc83s come to mind instantly. but key difference they have character with that gain and not some fizzy harsh top end, Telefunken is just really Hi-fi and I know old pre yugo Ei were made on that tooling and they sounded really gainy and hairy lol, they were prone to noise/microphonics though, I dont care what anybody says, swapping/rolling different 12AX7s sound HUGE to me keep doing it till you find what you like xD
Old 26th February 2013, 03:59 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

aaaa and the china tube is not good because when i put on v3( tremolo channel) the tremolo is not working good.....and something else....what is the phase inverter and how it's wok?
Old 27th February 2013, 12:46 AM   #13
jjman is offline jjman  United States
diyAudio Member

Remember that gain and gain are not the same thing. Changing the brand of the 12ax7 should not change the gain (or the gain) too much.
Old 27th February 2013, 02:12 AM   #14
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not sure about your ears but Nos everything sounds about 10x better and lasts longer as well lol
10X ?
Sure?
Old 27th February 2013, 05:15 AM   #15
Banned

ok maybe not 10x better but still I like them much better.
Old 27th February 2013, 05:44 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

what is nos???????????????????
Old 27th February 2013, 06:34 AM   #17
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

new old stock... means unused, from older production
Old 27th February 2013, 06:42 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plig88 View Post
what is nos???????????????????
Shorthand for New Old Stock. Tubes that were made by the original big vacuum tube manufacturers back in the golden days of tube amplification, as opposed to tubes manufactured now. They were made to much higher quality standards than currently manufactured tubes, on fresh, well maintained equipment and from much higher quality materials than are used today. As a result, they are said to sound better and last longer than tubes available today. In those days, tubes were used in all sorts of consumer electronics, so reliability and quality were major selling points.
Old 27th February 2013, 08:45 AM   #19
Tesla88 is offline Tesla88  Italy
diyAudio Member

Ok , can you post a schematic of the amp , or just want to go ahead discussing of nothing like tube brands? Dunno about JrGuitarGuy test method , i test tubes in real circuits with real instruments , not only by ears ...
Want to get more gain ? post circuit and i could help you .
Old 27th February 2013, 08:57 AM   #20
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Not forgetting that even in the best case, gain variations will be modest.
Something in the order of, say, 20% to 30% at most, and that testing a lot of tubes to find the best.
An extra 1dB or two of gain won't impact much on the distortion you are seeking.
To have a really noticeable improvement you will need 10dB to 20dB extra gain at least, and that will come from either an added extra tube gain stage (what Mesa/Marshall/Soldano/etc. did) *or* add a clean boost stage between your guitar and the amp input.
It's not bad to search for a better tube, but don't think you'll have dramatic changes.

Hide this!Advertise here!