Guitar tube amp self-made - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2013, 10:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Guitar tube amp self-made

Hi all.
I'm very newbie in self-made tube amps.
I'm a guitarist and electronic engineer (so, i know the basis).
I would like to realize a tube amp for my guitar.
Can you help me to choose a well-documented project? I would like a simple PP amp, with enough power to play outdoor in a rock band.
Thanks in advance
Old 13th February 2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Tesla88 is offline Tesla88  Italy
diyAudio Member

Most depends on tone you want to get and also power ! If you want to play outdoor you need 50 - 100W , so a four EL34 or 6L6 design for the output , EL34 are more midrange sounding and start distorting in the good way earlier than 6L6 , 6L6 are more punchy , i'm a lead guitarrist and i prefer EL34 in my output stages , anyway , is not that difference.
Preamps are really different in terms of tone , number of channels , gain ammount ,ecc

Don't know about "well documented" projects , i'll always choose an amp i like and starting by the schematic and info to build a clone.
Marshall are easy to clone and so Fender (maybe Peavey) because schematics are easy to find and corrects (not so for Mesa , ENGL , Bogner) , parts are easy to find (Transformers included)

A well documented project is the AX84 ... if you like it's tone.
AX84.com - The Cooperative Tube Guitar Amp Project

Also Ceriatone is a good start point
CeriaTone.Com - DIY Guitar Tube Amp

Other sites :
Kits - Das Musikding

Amp Maker: Guitar amp kits and parts

AMPAGE -- Tube Amps / Music Electronics

Watts Tube Audio ~ Everything Tube Amps!
Old 13th February 2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I also was going to suggest AX84 as a place to start.

Ampage is the archive for an old forum. The continuing forum is an excellent resource for you, visit it here:
Music Electronics Forum
Old 13th February 2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Banned

4 6v6 pp output section awesomeness is what you need lol
Old 13th February 2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Banned

they might be pretty bass light and not very powerful but still the 6v6 tone has some magic in the mids and highs unlike anything else depending on which manufacture, some sound like mini 6l6 while others sound more like aggressive mini el34s and the preamp has lots to do with it as well. Popes/brimars have a more pissed off midrange/snarl like an el34 while american ones rca/sylvania/ge etc are more detailed in the bass sweet mids but more laid back and that sweet singing top end. I have some Sylvania grey glass late 50s I have no clue why but these sound better than some RCAs I had. much more detail in the mids and very vowel like scream lol and just gorgeous harmonic content, its out of this world.
Old 13th February 2013, 05:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

A pair of 6550s p/p should get the power down.

Might work out cheaper than a quad of some of the other valves.

Chris

PS - you could get an awful lot of power with a quad of 6550s. Most guitar cabinets probably wouldn't stand it, but if you could find one that would, you'd never need more power.
Old 13th February 2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Banned

you don't need a whole 50 watts.... 4 6v6 output section 30-40watts with some efficient speakers will blow you a new one lol plus 6v6 is best bang for your buck tube imo.a **** **** load of NoS is still floating around out there and can be had relatively decent price, as well as being built 100x better than current production, although if you go 6550s try to get those GEs those suckers were some bomb proof bastards lol
Old 13th February 2013, 06:35 PM   #8
Banned

you guys jumping to the big tubes automatically you act like he's gonna be jamming out in a massive stadium or some **** rofl
Old 13th February 2013, 07:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

It all depends on what he means by "enough power to play outdoor in a rock band"

If they don't mic the guitar amps and everything is from a backline, outdoors even for a small area he'll want one or two 100-watters. If they do, but don't put instruments thru the monitors, he'll need 50 watts and an extension cabinet on each side of the stage. If they run instruments thru the monitors, then it doesn't matter what he uses, a champ will drive a mic.
Old 13th February 2013, 08:35 PM   #10
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Really. Outdoors is a really big room to fill. All you need for outdoors is enough to hear yourself, the rest goes through the PA. You don't need to deafen the rest of the band to brute force power your sound to the crowd.

Besides AX84, the 5E3 Fender Deluxe is probably the most built amp on earth.

Hide this!Advertise here!