Guitar tube amp self-made - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2013, 01:05 AM   #31
Banned

now its getting interesting xD is that really gonna be enough? very opinionated for sure, fighting a loud drummer and god knows what else not sure lol. definitely would need PA for a big event. I'm in process of building something myself but I'm keeping it a secret xD all I know its a very radical design and pretty oddball different lol. Its gonna be killer though lol
Old 19th February 2013, 12:18 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

did an outdoor gig last year I was playing harmonica but the bass player was using my 60 watt Jansen into a 2x12 cab. fella told me he could here the bass 6 km up the valley where he lives. ok It was at night and in the country so not much other noise round, but... I think he'll be able to here my new harp amp from home too lol.

It really depends on what you mean by an outdoor gig.

Oh and for my 5 cents I'd go 5e3 deluxe too, you can swap out the 6v6's for 6l6's and upgrade the OT later on.
Old 19th February 2013, 09:03 AM   #33
Tesla88 is online now Tesla88  Italy
diyAudio Member

How much power is needed is subjective , i'm a hard rock - metal player and i'm the lead guitar so i need extra power on soloing , i played live more than 100 lives , and still need a 50-100 W head (100 is not that louder than a 50 ), and i use ENGL cabinets too...real problem is due to drummer , and resonances (play at open is easier than playng at pubs )...also if you have a rithm guitar guy how likes V-shape EQ with bass at ten a 100W head is the way to go or shoot him xD
Again , i'm not a fan of monitors , i still prefer to go loud on amp an quiet (or nothing) on monitors , maybe because often monitors are shared or bad monitors start farting after 10 min of show.
In-ear is the way
Old 19th February 2013, 10:29 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

the first amp i built was a 5e3 in kit form from here
mablexporting.com
ok its Chinese but works ok specially if ya put sum of JR's nos 6v6 tubes in the finals.
I later changed the power filter caps 100Mu and upped the ouput transformer tweaked the bios resistor and with 6l6's from jj i was geting a good 55watts.
oh I allso changed the 5y3 to a gz34

Last edited by ArcticBreaze; 19th February 2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: forgot the rectifier
Old 20th February 2013, 05:10 AM   #35
Banned

Ok yeah with big gigs like that yeah might need some extra power and 100w is actually louder than 50watts but by only roughly 3 decibels whitch most people will never hear the difference, it all depends on output configuration too. like in what ever amp tube output quad of what you pull have tube you cut power wattage in halfish only 3 decibels like pulling a pair from a pp quad circuit that output impdence changes some guys actually like that mismatch that occurs it makes tubes operate on wrong cuve points pretty much but you do get some interesting different sounds but is it healthy on the circuit? probably not lol hard on tubes I'm sure but them fender ouput trannies could take a mismatch pretty well dealing with flyback power possibly burning out a winding with no problems it was the marshall's that didn't like it at all and blew up xD

Hide this!Advertise here!