Guitar tube amp self-made - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2013, 09:28 PM   #21
Banned

and another thing with 6v6 is the ability to play at home well at least more manageable, and I swear between all the manufactures and how different they are, it doesn't matter if they are driven into clipping or not I can hear differences between them. now with the big glass its less noticeable but still there. but its all up to what the Op likes you know, one person's good sound might be someone else's bad sound and vice/versa lol
Old 14th February 2013, 06:58 AM   #22
Tesla88 is offline Tesla88  Italy
diyAudio Member

I would prefer to hear something from the OP starter , not those "battles" on "how much power i need to play live"?
Old 14th February 2013, 03:32 PM   #23
Banned

yeah I wanna know what the OP is interested in tonally what he wanting to achieve etc
Old 14th February 2013, 03:34 PM   #24
Banned

well thing old crap rumor how power tubes are suppose to be totally transparent and not add a certain character or only what the preamp gives them like no way.... its very noticeable imo
Old 14th February 2013, 04:02 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

After just 6L6GC for many many years then trying EL34 I just happened to stumble into EL84 and 6V6 for a real eye-opener.

As far as my little champ, I wish I knew what it would sound like with different output transformers. It's a kit from STF and the output transforemr is really teensie.
http://www.stf-electronics.com/

Here's a directory to 22 popular guitar kit companies:
Amplifier Kits Directory : GuitarKitBuilder
Old 14th February 2013, 09:32 PM   #26
Banned

it is a real eye opener, I was the same, was so use to 6l6 and el34 tones then going to 6v6 tone was BIG difference to me.
Old 14th February 2013, 09:38 PM   #27
Banned

that deluxe kit with about 2 or 3 more gain stage's now that's what I'm talking about lol that one pictured in that link (STF) has those RCA GTAs never tried em but they are suppose be some of the best and sweetest, I can only imagine the harmonic content they have lol. the GTAs are tougher around 1960 was that transition period to the stouter GTA although some earlier stuff can cope with 400-20v on plates and screens they may not like it for very long but my god does it sound amazing lol.
Old 14th February 2013, 09:42 PM   #28
Banned

I about picked up some Sylvania GTAs 1 set was the clear box type plate, the other was earlier smoked glass chrome top but I changed my mind, some guys were saying that they both were pretty sterile and harsh, won't know till you try right? same with the Jan/Phillips late production suppose to be sterile as hell, not what wanting at all.
Old 14th February 2013, 09:48 PM   #29
Banned

later stuff has the beefed up screen support rods/diameter easily noticeable, the plates can handle voltages, its the screen being the issues. but most 6v6 anyways are not getting pushed past 350-370ish I just like the way they sound with more 400-420ish going on, more pissed of sounding for sure
Old 14th February 2013, 10:47 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Ok, it seems right. I have found this schem for 5E3 Deluxe:

http://support.fender.com/schematics..._schematic.pdf

do you think is suitable for a first experience?
I.E. i need a not too complicated project, with enough power to hear myself in the middle of drums-bass world, that i can use without PA in little (50 people) live shows, or with PA in a bigger event (4-500 people).
My favorite guitar is a Epiphone archtop, clean (jazzy) or with overdrive (blues - crunch).

Maybe I'm wrong, but a single ended isn't enough for little live shows. What do you think about?

Hide this!Advertise here!