Rangemaster clone filter caps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Nicho is offline Nicho  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Yorkshire
Default Rangemaster clone filter caps

Hi,

I'm building a rangemaster clone pedal (baby steps in diy audio) and have been trying to understand how it all works. I think I get most of it, but am not quite sure what the deal is with the 47uF capacitors. Do they smooth out any ripple from the battery (isn't a battery output pretty smooth), or do they act like a reservoir to assist in quickly supplying changing current loads across the battery? Surely current draw is not enough to cause much of a voltage drop.

Finally, and most importantly, what is special about 47uF? can different capacitances be used? will they make any difference to the sound? are they necessary at all?

Thanks

Nick
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lansing, Michigan
May I suggest you post or link to a schematic so we know just what you are referring to?

A "filter" cap across the battery serves to decouple the circuit from the battery - prevents the battery from interacting with the signal.

The value of such a cap is not critical. 47uf would be eneough, 100uf would be fine, and 22uf probably as well.

Such a cap would also serve to filter under-filtered wall wart power if your pedal has a wall wart jack.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Nicho is offline Nicho  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
May I suggest you post or link to a schematic so we know just what you are referring to?
I've attached one from this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
A "filter" cap across the battery serves to decouple the circuit from the battery - prevents the battery from interacting with the signal.
Ah, I will google. Decoupling seems to be the key word (I'm something of a noob and couldn't find what I was looking for searching battery filter caps.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
The value of such a cap is not critical. 47uf would be eneough, 100uf would be fine, and 22uf probably as well.
But something in that range, not 100nf for example?
Attached Images
File Type: gif rangemasterschematic.gif (3.9 KB, 23 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Ah, I see. The other 47uf is a emitter bypass cap, and it affects the gain and frequency response of that single amplifier stage. You might even experiment with a 22uf or 10uf there. IN fact, try leaving it out to see how that sounds, just to learn.


I found a version of this over at RG's Geofex site. I suggest you visit there, and look on the left side menu near the top for two things: Circuit Sweepings and FX projects. The web site has tons of great information for you. The FX project is based on the Rangemaster, read through it. In the Sweepings is an article titled "what are all those parts for?" Read that too.


New Page 1
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Nicho is offline Nicho  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Ah, I see. The other 47uf is a emitter bypass cap, and it affects the gain and frequency response of that single amplifier stage. You might even experiment with a 22uf or 10uf there. IN fact, try leaving it out to see how that sounds, just to learn.


I found a version of this over at RG's Geofex site. I suggest you visit there, and look on the left side menu near the top for two things: Circuit Sweepings and FX projects. The web site has tons of great information for you. The FX project is based on the Rangemaster, read through it. In the Sweepings is an article titled "what are all those parts for?" Read that too.
I'm reading the "what are all those parts for" article now.
Thanks for the info.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bypassing filter caps with Smaller caps mbeards Tubes / Valves 28 8th April 2012 10:47 PM
sound clips -DIY green ringer / tycobrahe octavia / axis fuzz / rangemaster and more! hellwood Instruments and Amps 5 8th October 2007 03:17 PM
filter Totem Arro clone,please help ACQUA Multi-Way 2 23rd February 2007 07:48 PM
Just one big filter cap or more smaller filter caps ... beppe61 Power Supplies 2 18th July 2006 05:46 PM
which caps to upgrade in Proac clone? wilsonj Multi-Way 0 28th July 2003 10:26 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:13 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2