long tailed power amp class a - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2013, 09:34 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

cheers bud did the cap and switch mod loving the sound!!!

since my first project is done now, cab pending, i think it's time i put pen to paper for no.2. does anyone have any advice on the design process, this is my first attempt at a PI let alone a power amp that does it. for example to elevate the heater voltage can i just do the usual and connect heater c.t. to cathode (around 100v)?

one last q, in long tail PI's the inverted output usually needs a lower load to to achieve the same gain as non inverted? do you reckon using ul taps might help sort this? if no one has a clue i'll give both a go and post results as i have a similar tx with ct at 45%
Old 7th February 2013, 12:40 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Is there some reason you want to do the circuit dropping so much across the 'tail'? The tubes you have are not really high output. What is the point?
Old 7th February 2013, 01:29 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

i was under the impression more Volts across tail meant better balance? also i think i mentioned earlier i am delibarately after low output power and high input sensitivity.

however if you think 250v, 100v for tail and 150v for anode would be too low i can provide 350v, 100v tail and 250v anode.
Old 7th February 2013, 04:02 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I think 50V would be more than enough and 250V supply might give you 5W out. I do not care for amps with less power but you might. You still have not said what your target is only low power.
Old 7th February 2013, 05:34 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadazzle View Post
same sorta goals i had to be honest, what sort of output power should i be aiming for? i was thinking maybe around 6-8w would be a safe max as these are rated for 7w peak in se or do you think i could push a little more? as i mentioned these cores look uncannily like the one from an lc15 so maybe i might get lucky with 10w?
i don't know what power to aim for, i think anything above 2W would suffice for this 1, i can always beef it up a it after i finished

Hide this!Advertise here!