Anyone opened a Tom Scholz Power Soak before? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2013, 03:11 PM   #31
Banned

while not even remotley close to being as loud as real Marshall its still cool lol I like to think of it has some monster hybrid 6v6 deluxe crossed with a plexi/jcm etc lol and this clip I had them late 50s sylvania coated glass 6v6 in and imo they are amazing lol. I had some earlier 50s GE/Ken-rads they were amazing too but they died lol. and well the JJ 6v6 I'm not sure what to think of them huge warble/wahhh low end but that mid range grind/snap was missing lol
Old 31st January 2013, 03:13 PM   #32
Banned

and the sylvania top end is astonishing lol
Old 31st January 2013, 03:18 PM   #33
Banned

I had the Chinese preamps in too lol I swear them suckers have a grind like no other lol I'm looking and drooling over some old Westinghouse 7408s/GTAs you know the ones with HUGE plates and holes in the plates lol. Looks like something from outer space lol.
Old 31st January 2013, 03:23 PM   #34
Banned

Cocaine and speed is bad rofl
Old 31st January 2013, 04:58 PM   #35
Banned

the magic in eddies old marshall now that was the real question XF1 or 2 Mullards?? I61/I63 ??? if it was probably explains why he perceived it as being magic lost lol.
Old 31st January 2013, 05:03 PM   #36
Banned

never personally heard in them in real life my god wish I could though lol, I knew a guy that had an old jmp though with the Tesla crossed swords etc brown base OMG lol stunning in just about every-way lol
Old 31st January 2013, 06:30 PM   #37
Banned

but really though back to main topic the the scholz unit pretty sure has wild resitor values and the question does it really maintain proper impedance? like I would use it on smaller amp but like no way in hell on a larger one well maybe slight db cut but man say like that max attenuated setting and diming out a 100watter scary lol and that whole impedance matching and yes I know impedance is variable resistance depending on frequency so it constantly changing etc but if its wild enough like crazy flyback power burns out transformer smokes tubes and whatever else. I mean there is no way to gauge accurately how long power tubes are gonna last at all when getting abused like that. I would feel more comfortable with a weber or a hotplate lol
Old 31st January 2013, 06:57 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

I had no trouble buying exact replacement resistors for the Scholz power soak from Mouser.

IMHO the Marshall Power Brake with its big trasnformer/inductor or whatever is more interesting than a buch of resistors; I had a few but I wish I knew more about them.
Old 31st January 2013, 07:07 PM   #39
Banned

yeah isn't the power brake and the Ultimate attenuator considered like some of the best units? as far as non tone sucking?
Old 31st January 2013, 07:08 PM   #40
Banned

Id like to see whats going on inside the power brake too lol

Hide this!Advertise here!