Grid choke - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2013, 09:46 PM   #21
es345 is offline es345  Germany
diyAudio Member

Direct coupling allows to go into AB2 operating mode, driving the power tube grid into positive voltage against the cathode. You will get grid current and as a consequence a lower saturation voltage between anode and cathode. This leads to more clean power. In my case that mode has increased the clean output power from 300W to ~ 350W.

The second effect is that you will have a stable bias for the power tubes.

You can see here how I have implemented the direct coupling: Bass Power Amp with GU50 . It includes also a limitation of the maximum positive grid voltage to protect the grids.
Old 20th January 2013, 10:17 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

the MOSFET will deliver more of the rail voltage too. But I don't have the knowledge or experience to do that yet. Tubes can't conduct the other way, so I guess I'd have to have an interstage transformer.
Old 20th January 2013, 10:19 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I see high-voltage regulator kits of various kinds. I also see high-voltage grid bias supplies that monitor the cathode current. They react slowly, not to the signal, supposedly. Seems to me the grid choke is a good alternative, because it makes such a high impedance to the grid at audio frequencies. I kind of like that, and it should be a good thing with 6 output tubes in parallel. I will probaby start with changing from the stock half-wave diodes to a full-wave rectifier and bigger cap to just one choke, then a resistor and bias pot for each tube. If the choke causes it to lose bass, maybe I can just add a carefuly-tuned cap after the choke before I resort to multiple chokes.

Last edited by cyclecamper; 20th January 2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 25th January 2013, 10:30 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

So I could use some advice here. Assuming I want to try a grid choke on the outputs for the super twin (6 6L6GC) how many should I use? One with 6 resistors, two with 4 resistors each, or six (one for each tube)? I'd probably add trimmer bias pots for each tube in addition.

Hide this!Advertise here!