LM1876 arduino mute - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2013, 07:16 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

hey tauro

im worried the mute pin might draw to much power from the arduino. the I/O pins of the arduino are limited to 40mA / 20mA reccommended!

and for some reason i cannot get the mute pin to work anyway, using a 5v battery to mute pins and ground. weird huh?

plus i need a latency free mute switch, and im not sure if the LM1876 mute pin works instantly... does anyone have experience with this chips feature?
Old 12th January 2013, 07:30 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi,
If you check the mute in the schematic Figure 6. LM1876 you can see that the mute goes to the base of a transistor so it would not required a lots current to enable or disable the mute using the output from the Arduino. I will use the output with no problem.
Old 13th January 2013, 08:36 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Fast muting/ unmuting will cause pops.. there must be a better way to get where you need to be .. Unfortunatley we do not know what that is so it makes it a little difficult to suggest any other potential options ..

Regards Mark
Old 13th January 2013, 04:13 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Just to let you know that I am using a NANO micro to control the speakers output and also the mute of my LM3886 amplifier. Since the mute in the LM3886 it is negative and for isolation I am using a solid state relay LH1546. It worked with no noisy whatsoever.Just clean in the ON/OFF.
Old 14th January 2013, 12:34 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

hey, thanks for all the replies!

maybe i can switch the signal on/off before the LM1876 - if i where to use this IC :: http://semicon.njr.co.jp/eng/PDF/NJM2521_E.pdf

can someone help me draw a schematic that flips a low power signal on/off with my arduinos digital pins?

thanks,
úlfur
Old 14th January 2013, 12:58 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

try a 10k resistor between the arduino and the LM chips. that should sufficiently limit the current.
you could always use some small signal transistors as switches connected to the arduino to mute the chips. plenty of examples on the arduino web forums for that!
Old 14th January 2013, 01:13 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataplex View Post
and for some reason i cannot get the mute pin to work anyway, using a 5v battery to mute pins and ground. weird huh?
No, not weird, if you're using a single supply. In which case you need 1/2 the supply voltage +2.5V to achieve mute.
Old 14th January 2013, 01:50 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Attached is an schematic on to do the input selection switching. This is an idea how to do it. It use 2 I/O pins from the Arduino micro.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg input selection switching.jpg (81.2 KB, 74 views)
Old 14th January 2013, 05:43 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

thanks again tauro

how does this PCB look to you? (its a bottom layer, thus inverted for printing!)

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 14th January 2013, 06:26 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi,
At the beginning I was unable to follow the circuit since you over look that pin 1 it is the one with the square. You have to turn around the socket or leaving it like it is just cosmetic. Are you trying to switch audio no? I was thinking that you was trying to mute the LM1876. The NJM2521 what it does is to select one output from three inputs. I just want to verify that were are in the same track.

Hide this!Advertise here!