diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Instruments and Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/instruments-amps/)
-   -   Low-end cab for distorted guitar (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/instruments-amps/227505-low-end-cab-distorted-guitar.html)

stringking 10th January 2013 10:35 PM

Low-end cab for distorted guitar

Maybe someone out there has some insight into this problem I'm having.

I'm trying to run a distorted lead guitar into an Ampeg SVT-6 Pro,(750wRMS@8ohm) driving an Eminence 15" Kilomax (2500wRMS@8ohm) in a cabinet that measures 18"x20"x33 with a 6" port. You would think this should handle anything I give it, guitar-wise, but it doesn't. The Ampeg peaks too early and has blown numerous speakers already. Smoked coils. It's as if the whole rig is "choking" and not giving me a bass note like I want and yet able to "blow" all these different speakers that I've tried so far. With 750w RMS from the amp, and a 2500w RMS speaker, there should be loads of volume and bass, shouldn't there? It's not kicking my *** like I thought it would.

Any ideas?

turk 182 10th January 2013 11:45 PM

why are you running a lead guitar through a bass head?
what kind of stomp box are you using?
what settings do you have on the lot?
sounds like you reached the point of deminishing returns i.e. saturation exhibiting foldover at various frenquencies
distortion is double edge sword wielded by the right master it can be awesome but misapplied it can produce ultrasonic distortion which will result in voice coil heating right fast not to mention power supply stress!!

JMFahey 11th January 2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringking (Post 3320323)
I'm trying to run a distorted lead guitar into an Ampeg SVT-6 Pro,(750wRMS@8ohm) driving an Eminence 15" Kilomax (2500wRMS@8ohm) You would think this should handle anything I give it, guitar-wise, but it doesn't. The Ampeg peaks too early and has blown numerous speakers already. Smoked coils. It's as if the whole rig is "choking" and not giving me a bass note like I want and yet able to "blow" all these different speakers that I've tried so far. With 750w RMS from the amp, and a 2500w RMS speaker, there should be loads of volume and bass, shouldn't there? It's not kicking my *** like I thought it would.

Yes, many.
1) read the datasheet.:eek:
1200W RMS , not 2500.
2) your (clean) 750W RMS amp can and will happily provide twice as much (1500W) *continuous* squarewave, all day long.
Starting to see where I'm heading?
3) it's very difficult to dissipate 1200W anyway, they are on the cutting edge of technology there.
Ok, but *can* they?
Probably, *if* you use them as intended, as *Subwoofers*, meaning *long* excursion, where the voice coil moves along a lot of air, self cooling, and all parts of it dissipate comparable power.
Since you are using a guitar, nothing of that applies.
Without having seen it, I'm sure your burnt voice coils show a center band which still looks "metallic" and more or less normal, surrounded by both ends toasted into carbon, with base material twisted and bent.
3) subwoofers are specially designed to push where all other speakers fail, between, say, 30 to 80Hz ; you are not making it happy with your program.
That speaker deserves a proper box and being fed what it likes, from a loud amplifier but equipped with a good limiter, the way the PA guys use it.
4) you are wasting it; mule kick in the chest for guitar means a peak around 90 or 100 Hz, yoy have a speaker meant to kick much lower..
5) make a 4x12" with 4xEVM12L or similar, or if it makes you happy, use EVM15L's.
Drop tuned chords will crush your stomach, believe me.

Keriwena 11th January 2013 05:26 AM

You're overlooking the sensitivity spec. 2 EVM12Ls will be 4 times louder than the Kilomax.

Just how low are you tuning?

tinitus 11th January 2013 06:48 AM

sounds like you could use something like 6x 12", or 8x 10" .... (and earplugs :D)

stringking 11th January 2013 03:46 PM

Thank you all for responding. This weekend when it's nice and quiet I'm going to respond with what I'm trying to achieve. Trying to think at work just doesn't work.
In a nutshell though what I'm looking to do is what I saw on the movie "Back to the Future" when Michael J Fox is in his room with that huge speaker and he hits a chord and it blows him into the wall. I want to get that from a 15" and a good amp.
More to come tomorrow............ and thanks for listening!:eguitar:

JMFahey 11th January 2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

In a nutshell though what I'm looking to do is what I saw on the movie "Back to the Future" when Michael J Fox is in his room with that huge speaker and he hits a chord and it blows him into the wall. I want to get that from a 15" and a good amp.
Well, driving a De Lorean car will NOT send you back 130 years.:eek:
By the same token, playing a chord into a 15" speaker will NOT push you back 12 feet.:eek:

Start driving a line between Fantasy and Reality and notice which side you are on.:p

Or , in other words, "It's HOLLYWOOD baby !!! ":D

Just in case you didn't notice, this guy does not exist either --> :hohoho:

stringking 11th January 2013 04:44 PM

LOL........I hear ya. I know that's impossible, but I'd like to get "close"? LOL

I'm already running a Marshall into a 4x12 and looking to add to my bass response with a dedicated 15" just for the lows.......more of the "Mule Kick" at 150hz and below.

What about this bugger in there:
BlackDeath Subwoofers | VIBE Audio

Coils wired in series. By watts law, it should handle the Ampeg full out shouldn't it? Even if it IS square wave distorted guitar?

tinitus 11th January 2013 07:17 PM

wow, you really are on the loose here :D well then, maybe consider 2x 15" PA pro woofers with high sensitivity

Fane AXIOM AX15-300B bass guitar speakers - AX15-300B Fane AXIOM bass guitar 15" speaker. Fane AX15-300B speaker for lead guitar.

Faital Pro 15FH510 Speakers - Faital Pro 15FH510 bass guitar speaker and subwoofer 15" speaker that has a lightweight neodymium magnet - Faital Pro 15FH510 1,000 watt 18" high efficiency of 98dB SPL woofer for all high power bass applications. Faital

JMFahey 11th January 2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

By watts law, it should handle the Ampeg full out shouldn't it? Even if it IS square wave distorted guitar?
1) It's a Car Audio speaker, can't trust *any* parameter they claim, simple as that.
Well, ok, *maybe* I can trust its diameter is 15" ... but not much more than that. ;)
2) what part of "you do not need a subwoofer" you don't understand?
As useful as a parachute in a submarine.:eek:
Just sayin' :p