Want to make small inductor for tone circuit - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2013, 08:39 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

The color codes are on the schematic, but some of them are pretty hard to read. The Studio Bass schematic that I have is much clearer and we should be able to glean the actual values from the color codes. Looks like I have five of the six, including the one you need. I'm guessing I may have left the Presence one in circuit, but it's been a really long time since I worked on that amp, probably at least twenty years.

PS: If you want to change this to the Studio Bass EQ circuit you'll still need another one of the 011945 inductors, or something equivalent, as the SB uses two of those.
Old 8th January 2013, 09:01 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Did you get my PM and email?
Old 8th January 2013, 09:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecamper View Post
Did you get my PM and email?
Yep, emailed you back last night. I'll ship tomorrow.
Old 8th January 2013, 09:48 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passinwind View Post
PS: If you want to change this to the Studio Bass EQ circuit you'll still need another one of the 011945 inductors, or something equivalent, as the SB uses two of those.
I don't think it really does, I'd always assumed that was a typo on the schematic, unless you know that to be true from looking at one. Perhaps they wanted the lowest bass contols to have more gradual overlapping low-pass???

I would be more interested in how to vary the =/- range.
Old 8th January 2013, 09:54 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't think it really does, I'd always assumed that was a typo on the schematic, unless you know that to be true from looking at one. Perhaps they wanted the lowest bass contols to have more gradual overlapping low-pass???

I would be more interested in how to vary the =/- range.
I'll do a quickie model in LTspice and see what I can figure out. I really don't want to mess with my friend's Studio Bass anymore if I can help it.
Old 8th January 2013, 10:57 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't think it really does, I'd always assumed that was a typo on the schematic, unless you know that to be true from looking at one.
Don't think it's a typo after running some quick online calcs to solve for simple LC resonance frequencies. Here are the actual inductor values, as best as I can figure:

011941: 50mH
011942: 100mH
011943: 200mH
011944: 500mH
011945: 1H
011946: 2.5H

A few of the frequencies are as much as 20% or so off the schematic/front plate labeled values -- close enough for rock 'n roll.
Old 9th January 2013, 03:53 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I got your email, I just wasn't on that system until just now...thanks!
Old 9th January 2013, 01:53 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

You're right, it does show the color codes on the schematic; I guess I'd assumed that was a wire color with stripe color or something long ago, and has been "invisible" to my selective brain since!

Also, as I investigate possible power supply upgrades I discover the Studio Bass has a lower 395 V B++ compared to the Super Twin 400 V B++ (B+ is shte same 500 V on both).
Old 4th February 2013, 09:22 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I want to make sure I thanked you publicly for really coming thru on this one! If I get the right test setup I'll try to measure these, so they are reproducible. If nothing else, it is an interesting tube graphic EQ.

I added epoxy to the ends of each, where the leads exit the cylinder body. Then I added some GOOP glue to anchor them to the turret-board. Several leads were loose, making it just a matter of time before fatigue failure from the vibration of setting a head atop a cabinet.
Old 5th February 2013, 04:46 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Cyclecamper,
The REAL values for your edification

Frequncy Band (centre) is set by the LC resonant frequency which you can calculate from
f = 1/ 2pi (LC)^-2

or 1 over 2 pi root L C (in words.)

OR cheat:
Resonant Frequency Calculator

2300 Hz and 0.047 uF => 101.88mH, call it 0.1 H
1250 Hz and 0.082 uF => 197.7 mH, call it 0.2 H
485 Hz and 0.22 uF => 489.48 mH, call it 0.5 H
235 Hz and 0.47 uF => 975.9 mH, call it 1 H
100 Hz and 1 uF => 2.5 H

You can match those values up with the Fender Part Numbers above.

Next go to Mouser or similar and search for those values. Should be cheaper than a Fender spare part.

Edit: responded from page 1, just noted Passinwind's response above - well this is his design review, he passes (if you'll forgive the pun).

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited by gingertube; 5th February 2013 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Noted Passinwind's post above

Hide this!Advertise here!