maggie 185 to stereo guitar amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I have this Magnavox 185 in great condition, recapped it, sounds great, but i have a 9302 that I already use for a music amp.

I would like to convert the 185 into guitar use, and use the original tone and volume controls from the console it came out of. I am thinking about building a cabinet similar to the Gibson GA79-RVT. Classic Amps: The 1961 Gibson GA-79RVT

Although it sounds great as a stereo amp, it lacks some punch and volume for a guitar amp, even if I run through the 7025 as the phono preamp.

Is it possible to add a 12AX7 stereo preamp in place of the 7025....since I have plenty of 12ax7s, and beef it up a big to perform better as a guitar amp? If so, is there a decent schematic of the preamp circuit? I am not a designer, but can easily read and build from a schematic.

Am I off my rocker for thinking about doing this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.