Hybrid amp design - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2013, 07:50 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I would suggest that the high voltage op-amp might be better suited in stage 2. From my experience, the real beauty of tube guitar amps is the feel of the input going right into the grid of a tube, so I would like to see a triode in stage 1. You should be able to have enough headroom at +/-40V with that op-amp to fully saturate the next triode stage (stage 3) without over-driving the op-amp.

As for 12VAC on the heaters, you really should have them at 12.6VAC (or 6.3VAC with them in parallel). There is a serious tube life derating if you run the heaters too low, far worse than if you run them a bit too high. You can get small, cheap heater transformers like these ones Hammond Mfg. - Power Transformer - Economical Single Primary - (166 Series)
Old 1st January 2013, 09:19 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m145mcc View Post
Nope, both triodes are at about 150 vdc.
I mean that 47K, R18. That effectively raises the lowest voltage the anode can swing to by about 50V.
Old 1st January 2013, 09:38 PM   #13
m145mcc is offline m145mcc  United States
diyAudio Member

Sir Robert I don't want to sound to needy, but would you by chance happen to have a link on the analytical analysis of a simple triode config. Dozerdave I will rework that tonight and try to post an updated revision. I'm realy glad I decided to join the forum you guys have a lot to offer.
Old 1st January 2013, 09:48 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m145mcc View Post
Sir Robert I don't want to sound to needy, but would you by chance happen to have a link on the analytical analysis of a simple triode config. Dozerdave I will rework that tonight and try to post an updated revision. I'm realy glad I decided to join the forum you guys have a lot to offer.
The Valve Wizard
Old 1st January 2013, 10:51 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

That's perfect, thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:47 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

No prob. When you've digested that, go to his homepage and check out the rest of his articles. The one on the DC coupled cathode follower is important, you see it in pretty much every tube amp, is responsible for a good part of tube sound, and is easy to implement in a pre amp.

How to design valve guitar amplifiers
Old 2nd January 2013, 01:24 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I made a few very minor changes, I ran a frequency response analysis on it and a wave form analysis. I think I'm going to build it when income tax rolls in. If anybody sees anything like seriously wrong with it let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tiny terror mod.jpg (438.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg o-scope.jpg (98.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg trans.jpg (132.2 KB, 85 views)
Old 2nd January 2013, 08:59 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

You should use the OPA453, as that's the equivalent optimised for high gains like yours.
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:30 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Ya know I was just thinking of switching op-amps too, what do you think about the LME49710?
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:34 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I take that back I'm preferring the OPA453 now that I look at it, loads of gain!

Hide this!Advertise here!