Running up tube heads - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2012, 01:38 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi
All good stuff, thanks.
It won't be 10 years between power-ups, but it could be a while before he uses it again in anger. It's in a house in California, not a storage locker (which I might have implied) so I don't think damp will be a problem, but I will mention it.

Although he doesn't have his Marshall cab with him, I'll just hook up an old 8" 8-Ohm speaker to a 1/4-inch plug and send it to him so he can at least shut off the standby and have a load on the output. I know most SS amps have open circuit protection, but I wasn't sure about tube heads.
Thanks
Phil
Old 30th December 2012, 04:22 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I'll send him a li'l old 8-Ohm 6.5-inch so heas something to plug in and turn off the standby
Thanks
Phil
Old 30th December 2012, 09:52 PM   #13
Banned

very slowly induce lower voltages/current/power is a great idea variac is a great tool
Old 31st December 2012, 02:12 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi
In principle a Variac is fine, but it's only been three months since it was being used regularly, so I don't think there is much worry turning it on.
Phil
Old 31st December 2012, 04:27 AM   #15
Banned

probably not with only 3 months
Old 31st December 2012, 04:28 AM   #16
Banned

I thought like he was talking about years lol
Old 2nd January 2013, 01:33 AM   #17
ivan H is offline ivan H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi, yes it definitely needs a speaker or suitable dummy load hooked to the output to power it up, (not in standby). With regard to the filter caps, on another guitar amp forum they give the following instructions for forming new, or reforming electrolytics in amps. Disconnect the rectifier from the filters & hook it back up with a 100k, 2 watt resistor between the rectifier & filter caps, then power it up, periodically checking the voltage drop across the resistor. When the voltage drop across it is below a few volts the caps are formed. Drain the caps properly & remove the resistor, hook back up the way it was. This is current limiting the caps while forming them, whereas using a variac is only voltage limiting. Hope this helps. Cheers
Old 2nd January 2013, 02:58 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Ummmm...no. I am not putting my hands in a tube head for any reason. No sir. Besides, it's 3000 miles away, and I only really wanted to know about firing it up every few months. I'll be surprised if it's more than a year before he is back in a band again.
Thanks
Phil

Hide this!Advertise here!